Barrier Films for Flexible Electronics 2013 Report
DUBLIN, Ireland, July 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/t9ct68/barrier_films_for) has announced the addition of the "Barrier Films for Flexible Electronics 2013-2023: Needs, Players, Opportunities" report to their offering.
A large opportunity lies in the development of devices in a flexible form factor that can operate without deterioration in performance, allowing them to be more robust, lightweight and versatile in their use. In order for flexible displays and photovoltaics to be commercially successful, they must be robust enough to survive for the necessary time and conditions required of the device. This condition has been a limitation of many flexible, organic or printable electronics. This highlights the fact that beyond flexibility, printability and functionality, one of the most important requirements is encapsulation as many of the materials used in printed or organic electronic displays are chemically sensitive, and will react with many environmental components such as oxygen and moisture.
These materials can be protected using substrates and barriers such as glass and metal, but this results in a rigid device and does not satisfy the applications demanding flexible devices. Plastic substrates and transparent flexible encapsulation barriers can be used, but these offer little protection to oxygen and water, resulting in the devices rapidly degrading.
In order to achieve device lifetimes of tens of thousands of hours, water vapor transmission rates (WVTR) must be 10-6 g/m2/day, and oxygen transmission rates (OTR) must be < 10-3 cm3/m2/day. For Organic Photovoltaics, the required WVTR is not as stringent as OLEDs require but is still very high at a level of 10-5 g/m2/day. These transmission rates are several orders of magnitude smaller than what is possible using any conventional plastic substrate, and they can also be several orders of magnitude smaller than what can be measured using common equipment designed for this purpose.
This report gives an in-depth review of the needs, emerging solutions and players. It addresses specific topics such as:
- Companies which are active in the development of high barrier films and their achievements on the field to date. The report covers a range of approaches in encapsulation, such as dyads, deposition of inorganic layers on plastic substrates and flexible glass.
- Surface smoothness and defects (such as cracks and pinholes) and the effect that these would have on the barrier behavior of the materials studied.
- Traditional methods of measurement of permeability are reaching the end of their abilities. The MOCON WVTR measurement device, which has been an industry standard, cannot give adequate measurements at the low levels of permeability required for technologies such as organic photovoltaics and OLEDs. Other methods of measurement and equipment developed are being discussed.
- Forecasts for displays, lighting and thin film photovoltaics (in terms of market value as well as area of barrier film sold into different verticals), in order to understand the influence that the development of flexible barriers would have at the mass deployment and adoption of these technologies.
Key Topics Covered:
2. Introduction to Encapsulation
3. Surface Smoothness - Defects
4. Barrier Technologies: Past Developments
5. Advances in Barrier Manufacturing Processes
6. Barrier Adhesives
7. Company Profiles
8. Addressable Market Segments for Barrier Film Technologies
9. Barrier Measurements
10. Forecasts for Barrier Films for Flexible Electronics 2013-2023
- Asahi Glass Company
- Dow Chemical
- Holst Centre - TNO
- Konica Minolta
- NM Technologies
- Nippon Electric Glass
- Toppan Printing
- Toray Industries
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/t9ct68/barrier_films_for
About Research and Markets
Research and Markets is the world's leading source for international market research reports and market data. We provide you with the latest data on international and regional markets, key industries, the top companies, new products and the latest trends.
SOURCE Research and Markets
More by this Source
Global Head-Mounted Displays Market 2014-2018
Apr 18, 2014, 06:53 ET
Global Adaptive Cruise Control Market 2014-2018
Apr 18, 2014, 06:21 ET
Global Probiotics Products Market 2014-2018
Apr 18, 2014, 06:07 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.