FRANKLIN LAKES, N.J., June 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) (NYSE: BDX), a leading global medical technology company, announced today the publication of its 2013 Sustainability Report. This is BD's sixth annual Sustainability Report, highlighting progress in the past year.
"The healthcare sector is in a period of great transition. We know this means that we will be faced with significant challenges and opportunities in the future," said Vincent A. Forlenza, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and President. "Sustainability is more than a business strategy, it is a guiding principle we use to fulfill our purpose of Helping all people live healthy lives. I am proud of our accomplishments at BD, and look forward to continuing to play an active role in advancing sustainable solutions for our industry and stakeholders."
BD's 2013 Sustainability Report highlights strategic priorities and performance in five key areas of sustainability:
- Addressing Unmet Health Needs: BD announced a commitment to develop, manufacture and launch the Odon Device, an innovative new obstetrical instrument for assisting the delivery of newborns during circumstances of troublesome labor. BD will utilize its core competencies to establish low-cost production and offer affordable access pricing in developing countries.
- Ensuring Good Governance and Ethics: In 2013, BD reinforced its implementation of its "Doing What is Right" compliance training, and strengthened its signature anti-corruption program, Project Compass.
- Safeguarding Product Safety and Performance: BD expanded its portfolio of safety products in 2013 by launching BD Simplist™, a line of prefilled injectables, as well as acquiring Cato Software Solutions to increase accuracy in hospital pharmacies by supporting a more streamlined workflow.
- Protecting the Environment: By concentrating environmental sustainability efforts on reducing the impact of its operations and products, by the end of fiscal 2013, BD had reached 80 percent of its 2015 sustainability targets. Key initiatives such as its wind energy project in Nebraska have contributed to this early success.
- Making BD an Even Better Place to Work: In 2013 we created a new Leadership Standard and programs to develop skills and identify talent at BD. The Company also established the Women's Initiative Network (WIN) with the goal of creating a best-in-class work environment that leverages gender diversity at all levels of the Company.
The sustainability report aligns with version 3.1 of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) guidelines, and has been self-assessed at GRI application level B.
To view the full BD 2013 Sustainability Report online, visit www.bd.com/sustainability.
BD is a leading medical technology company that partners with customers and stakeholders to address many of the world's most pressing and evolving health needs. Our innovative solutions are focused on improving drug delivery, enhancing the diagnosis of infectious diseases and cancers, supporting the management of diabetes and advancing cellular research. We are nearly 30,000 associates in 50 countries who strive to fulfill our purpose of "Helping all people live healthy lives" by advancing the quality, accessibility, safety and affordability of healthcare around the world. For more information, please visit www.bd.com.
Lindsay Roman BD Public Relations +1 (201) 847-4312 Lindsay_Roman@bd.com
SOURCE BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company)