Be Our Guest: Airbnb Rings in 2014 by Covering One Night of Travel
Airbnb offers one night's stay to all qualifying guests worldwide
Declares 2014 the "Year of the Yurt" and shares top trending destinations
SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Airbnb, the world's leading community-driven hospitality company, today introduced a new offer to cover one night of travel for qualifying guests (details available at www.airbnb.com/onenight). First-time Airbnb guests who book a trip between January 13-17 for travel by March 31, for stays of at least two days, will receive a one night discount (up to $300) on their trip. With the start of the new year, Airbnb also shared the top trending destinations for 2014 – with Andorra grabbing the top spot.
"Every year people resolve to travel more, this year Airbnb wants to make that dream a reality for people all over the world," said Amy Curtis McIntyre, CMO, Airbnb. "In 2014 we'd like to help travelers everywhere embrace the adventure and stay at one of Airbnb's 500,000 properties worldwide."
Airbnb is home to some of the most diverse properties on the planet and 2014 is clearly the "Year of the Yurt." Yurts are the most popular type of property on the site followed by Treehouses, Caves, Cabins, and Boats. Yurts should watch out for Tipis as they have seen the highest year over year growth in popularity.
Over 10 million guests have stayed on Airbnb throughout its five-year history. The peak night was on New Year's Eve 2013 with over 250,000 guests; globally a guest on Airbnb checks in every 2 seconds.
As 2014 kicks off, Airbnb has compiled the top 10 fastest growing destinations for the new year, which are:
- Andorra – Known for its skiing and easy access from the rest of Europe, interest in the tiny principality of Andorra is up over 300 percent.
- Barbados – As one of the most developed islands in the Caribbean, jumping 184 percent, Barbados offers visitors a trip of a lifetime on any budget.
- Nicaragua – Up 180 percent, Nicaragua is becoming a go-to destination for surfers who want to get away from the crowds or hikers looking for volcanoes and parks off the beaten path.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina – Eastern Europe continues to grow as a destination with Bosnia and Herzegovina up over 170 percent.
- Bahamas - A forever favorite with people looking for an island vacation, the Bahamas will host a number of major sporting events in 2014, and interest in the country has risen 167 percent.
- Malta – The booming popularity of this Mediterranean island continues up 165 percent in 2014.
- South Africa – Interest in South Africa was up 159 percent as visitors clamor for the wine and wild animals native to the country.
- Morocco – Fantastic architecture in the cities and deserts as far as the eye can see boosted Morocco up 158 percent.
- Malaysia – Malaysian cuisine is a big hit among foodies propelling visits to the tropical nation up 155 percent.
- Guatemala – Whether traipsing through jungles or climbing the ancient ruins at Tikal Guatemala is up 148 percent.
Outside of countries, Airbnb has seen a number of regions out-pacing others as hot destinations for 2014:
- The Florida Panhandle is the number one in growth at 996 percent as visitors seek beaches and golf courses.
- Travel to Indian cities is on the rise as travelers are increasingly looking for local experiences: Bengaluru (821 percent), New Delhi, (642 percent); Mumbai, India (423 percent).
- The Greek Islands are seeing a big lift as bargain hunters head to the country: Mykonos (451 percent); Crete (449 percent); Paros (410 percent); and Thira (400 percent).
- While northern cities like Rome and Florence have long been popular, travelers are increasingly headed to the south of Italy with Calabria up 583 percent.
- Great deals can also be found on the many islands of the coast of Spain and Portugal are also catching travelers' fancy: Costa Del Sol, Spain (360 percent), Alicante, Spain (347 percent), and Tavira, Portugal (395 percent).
Whether headed to the sun of the Florida Panhandle or the slopes of Andorra, try Airbnb and one night is covered. Find a wishlist of properties to visit in these locations here: https://www.airbnb.com/wishlists/21626185.
Terms & Conditions:
The discount is valid only for guests who have never completed a booking on Airbnb. To receive the discount, you must book via the Airbnb website with promo code ONENIGHT and successfully complete Airbnb's Verified ID process prior to booking. You must complete a booking (including host acceptance) using the code between 12:00am PST (California time) on January 13 and 11:59pm PST (California time) on January 17. The discount applies to one night of your stay up to a maximum of USD$300. The cost of "one night" is calculated by averaging the base reservation rate for each night, excluding taxes or other fees charged by your host, such as cleaning fees. Your stay must be at least two nights in length at the same listing, and must begin no later than 11:59pm PST (California time) on March 31, 2014. Limit one discount per new user. The offer is valid for a single use and is not transferrable to another user or redeemable for cash. If your booking later qualifies for a refund, the maximum refund you may receive is the amount you actually paid. The code cannot be used for bookings made through Airbnb's mobile apps. The code may not be combined with another Airbnb coupon or discount code. Host payouts will not be affected by permissible guest use of the code. Airbnb reserves the right to any remedy, including denial of the discount or cancellation of your account or reservations, if fraud, tampering, violations of Airbnb's Terms of Service or technical errors are suspected.
About Airbnb: Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world – online or from a mobile phone. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 35,000 cities and 192 countries. And with world-class customer service and a growing community of users, Airbnb is the easiest way for people to monetize their extra space and showcase it to an audience of millions.