LAS VEGAS, Jan. 5, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Beaconix unveiled today the next generation of BLE beacons: beacons that are cloud-connected using Bluetooth Smart Mesh. Demonstrated at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES 2016), Beaconix Smart Beacons™ are immediately available.
Unlike current generation beacons which merely transmit location info, Beaconix Smart Beacons are cloud-connected and controllable, enabling:
- Remote firmware upgrades – Beaconix Smart Beacons dramatically reduce total cost of ownership by making it unnecessary to dispatch technicians to thousands of locations
- Real time updates and programming – Beaconix Smart Beacons can be instantly configured from the cloud to change the content they transmit; this is particularly important for beacon networks made available to third-party applications
- Bidirectional communications – Beaconix Smart Beacons relay information bidirectionally between a smartphone and the cloud, allowing retailers to engage customers even if their stores suffer from a bad Internet connectivity
- Asset tracking – Beaconix Smart Beacons use BLE to track assets in their proximity, opening the door to previously unthinkable applications
- Sophisticated security measures – Beaconix Smart Beacons benefit from cloud connectivity to implement the most advanced security methods
Beaconix Smart Beacons are interconnected wirelessly using Bluetooth Smart Mesh. A single Beaconix Controller™ connects a large group of Smart Beacons to the Cloud. Each Smart Beacon is independently-controlled and supports:
- Apple's iBeacon™ protocol
- Google's Eddystone™ protocol
- Beaconix 2WAY™ smartphone communications
- Real Time Locating Systems (RTLS) and other BLE asset tracking applications
"Standalone beacons are now obsolete; Beaconix is taking proximity services into the IoT world of cloud-connected devices," said Graham Celine, Beaconix's Product Marketing Director, "Every other piece of modern technology deployed in a retail environment, from point-of-sales systems to digital displays, has long been connected to the cloud, and is remotely serviceable. With the introduction of Beaconix's Cloud-Connected Smart Beacons, beacons join the ranks of established, commercially viable technologies."
"Our customers–retailers with hundreds and thousands of stores–have piloted beacons to engage customers visiting their stores, and have confirmed their tremendous potential," said Daniel Dreymann, CEO of Mowingo, whose mobile customer engagement platform is used by major retail brands. "But two main showstoppers have been the lack of reliable internet connectivity in their stores, and the cost associated with periodically dispatching technicians to service thousands of beacons. Beaconix's Smart Beacons effectively solve both problems."
"There is no doubt that Bluetooth Mesh will be the foundation networking technology for the Internet of Things (IoT)," said Alf Helge Omre, Business Development Manager, Bluetooth Low Energy at Nordic Semiconductor ASA. "Using Nordic chips, Beaconix brings to market a Bluetooth Mesh solution ahead of the ongoing standardization efforts, and much ahead of solutions from other vendors, showcasing the superiority of Nordic's technology."
Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, and led by experts in networking and mobile technologies, Beaconix offers the best and most cost-effective beacons available worldwide. Beaconix partners with application developers, system integrators, retail brands, and other participants in the proximity marketing ecosystem. Visit us at www.beaconix.com.