WESTLAKE, Calif., April 19, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Benjamin Moore ranks highest in customer satisfaction with interior paint and paint stain, while Sherwin-Williams ranks highest in exterior paint and highest in satisfaction with paint retailers, according to the J.D. Power 2016 Paint Satisfaction Study,SM released today.
The study measures customer satisfaction in the $26.2 billion1 interior and exterior paint and stain market. In the interior paint, exterior paint and paint stain segments satisfaction is measured across six factors (in alphabetical order): application; design guides; durability; price; product offerings; and warranty/guarantee. In the paint retailer segment, satisfaction is measured across five factors (in alphabetical order): merchandise; price; sales and promotions; staff and service; and store facility. Satisfaction is measured on a 1,000-point scale.
Application, product offerings and durability have the greatest impact on satisfaction with interior paint, exterior paint and paint stain brands. In fact, the highest-ranked brands in each of the three segments score not only highest in all three of these factors, but also significantly higher than segment average.
"Paint and stain is one of the very few product categories that has not transitioned to an Internet-based sales model, making the retailer and customer-facing store staff a crucial component to the overall customer experience," said Greg Truex, senior director of the at-home practice at J.D. Power. "Not only do the store sales staff and level of service they provide play an important role in the paint brand selected by customers, but they also strengthen the relationship between the brand and retailer to help draw customers into the store."
Cracking the Code on Customer Satisfaction
The hands-on, face-to-face nature of the paint and stain retail experience puts a premium on customer service, with the following elements having the greatest influence on overall satisfaction:
- Salespeople Who Listen: According to the study, customer satisfaction is positively impacted by a significant 150 points when the salesperson listens carefully to understand the needs for the job, compared to when they do not listen (827 vs. 677, respectively). Satisfaction generated by listening salespeople also drives loyalty, with 49% of customers whose salesperson listened saying they "definitely will" repurchase from the retailer vs. 15% of those whose salesperson did not listen.
- Color Recommendations and Application Tips Appreciated: Satisfaction is also significantly higher among customers who receive help in selecting paint color (851 vs. 784 no help), and significantly higher when tips for paint application are offered (857 vs. 777 no tips).
Interior Paint Brand Satisfaction Rankings
- Benjamin Moore (836) ranks highest in customer satisfaction among interior paint brands and performs particularly well in the application, durability and product offerings factors.
- Sherwin-Williams and Valspar (831 each) rank second in a tie, followed by BEHR (826).
Exterior Paint Brand Satisfaction Rankings
- Sherwin-Williams (831) ranks highest in customer satisfaction among exterior paint brands, performing particularly well in application; design guides; durability; product offerings; and warranty/guarantee.
- BEHR (820) ranks second and Benjamin Moore (816) ranks third.
Paint Stain Brand Satisfaction Rankings
- Benjamin Moore (814) ranks highest in customer satisfaction among paint stain brands, performing particularly well in application; design guides; durability; price; product offerings; and warranty/guarantee.
- Sherwin-Williams (794) ranks second and BEHR (789) ranks third.
Paint Retailer Satisfaction Rankings
- Sherwin-Williams (847) ranks highest in customer satisfaction among paint retailers and performs particularly well in the merchandise; staff and service; and store facility factors.
- Ace Hardware (828) ranks second and Benjamin Moore Independent Retailer (819) ranks third.
The 2016 Paint Satisfaction Study is based on responses from 8,629 customers who purchased and applied interior paint, exterior paint and/or paint stain within the previous 12 months. The study was fielded in January and February 2016.
For more information about the J.D. Power 2016 Paint Satisfaction Study,SM visit http://www.jdpower.com/resource/us-paint-satisfaction-study
See the online press release at http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2016-paint-satisfaction-study
Media Relations Contacts
John Tews; Troy, Mich.; 248-680-6218; firstname.lastname@example.org
About J.D. Power and Advertising/Promotional Rules www.jdpower.com/about-us/press-release-info
1 Source: The Freedonia Group http://www.freedoniagroup.com/industry-study/2812/paint-coatings.htm
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20130605/LA26502LOGO
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160418/356554
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160418/356557
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160418/356558
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160418/356555
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160418/356556
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/benjamin-moore-ranks-highest-in-customer-satisfaction-with-interior-paint-and-paint-stain-sherwin-williams-ranks-highest-in-exterior-paint-and-paint-retailer-300253505.html
SOURCE J.D. Power