Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay Hosts "Bigs of the Year" Gala Keynoted by Red Sox Fan Favorite Jason Varitek With Other Former Boston Sports Stars In Attendance
Tickets remain to May 16 celebration that will honor six Big Brother and Big Sisters from Greater Boston Area; Event includes live and silent auctions with chance to win golf with Bruins legends or sailing trip to the British Virgin Islands
BOSTON, May 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay (BBBSMB) will host its annual "Bigs of the Year" Gala at the Hynes Convention Center Thursday, May 16, 2013 from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. Open to the public, the event will feature a keynote from former Boston Red Sox catcher and fan favorite Jason Varitek, who is now special assistant to Red Sox General Manager Ben Cherrington. Attendees will also be able to mingle with other former Boston sports stars like two-time Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl Champion, Darrin Smith and Bruins alumni, Andy Brickley, Bob Beers, and Tim Sweeney among many others.
Passionate Boston sports fans can also bid on hot auction items such as a day of golf with Bruins legends Ray Bourque and Gord Kluzak during a spirited live auction hosted by Billy Costa, radio and television personality for WXKS-FM and NECN's TV Diner. A silent auction allows for additional opportunities to score with items like Larry Bird's Team USA signed jersey and framed original Fenway Park blueprints. The event also includes a sit-down dinner and open bar.
A limited number of tickets remain and can be purchased at www.bbbsmb.org.
The annual event this year will also honor Paul A. Margolis, Co-Founder and Partner, Longworth Venture Partners with the 5th Annual "John B. Pearson Excellence in Mentoring" Award.
The award recognizes community leaders whose passion and dedication have had a significant and positive impact on the lives of children. Paul Margolis is closing his term as Chairman of the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay Board of Directors where he has been a proud, dedicated and active member since 1997.
In addition to his work with BBBSMB, he is known for his charitable generosity to many local and national nonprofits. Past recipients include John B. Pearson, Former CEO and President of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay, Bill Dwyer, Bob Cassato, formerly of John Hancock Financial Services and Robert Reynolds, President and CEO of Putnam Investments.
The event will also recognize six exceptional Big Brother Big Sister volunteers in the Massachusetts Bay chapter who were selected out of nearly 2,000 volunteers for their enormous impact and positive influence. All six will go on to compete for the national Big Brother and Big Sister of the Year award presented by Big Brothers Big Sisters of America. National honorees will be announced in June.
To be honored are:
- Beth Ronan, 50, from Winthrop, Mass.: Beth has been matched with her Little, Li, for over five years. During that time, Beth has made her role as Li's Big Sister and friend a priority. Beth makes sure that she and Li have fun when they spend time together, but also ensures that she supports Li, first and foremost, as a friend.
- Matthew Brown, 27, from Boston, Mass.: Matthew has helped his Little, Brandon, become more positive, do better in school and improve his self-esteem. Matthew has been a supportive and encouraging adult role model who cares deeply for his Little.
- Sheila Kilda, 48, from Norton, Mass.: Sheila is not just Little Britney's Big Sister, but her family. Every week, Sheila takes Britney to dance lessons along with her regular visits throughout the month, demonstrating how much she truly cares for Britney.
- Kevin Nolan, 36, from Boston, Mass.: Kevin has provided a fun and nurturing environment for his Little, Kyle, allowing him to open up and become more engaged with the adult relationships in his life. Kevin is now more outgoing and actively participating in school and school activities.
- Warren Madden, 49, from Dorchester, Mass.: Over the last 10 years, Warren has been the single consistent adult in his Little Chris's life, giving him one-on-one attention that has helped foster an open and trusting friendship. Even though Chris will be graduating high school this year, Warren is excited to continue their relationship.
- Zolan Kanno-Youngs, 19, from Boston, Mass.: Zolan is extremely committed to his Little, and always goes the extra mile when spending time with Izaeyah. Zolan is always offering advice, and helping Izaeyah with school. Whether they are playing basketball together or visiting the Aquarium, Zolan is a true friend to Izaeyah.
For more information about these honorees please visit www.bbbsmb.org.
With 100 years of experience fostering professionally supported, one-on-one friendships between young people and adults, BBBSMB is helping to strengthen the communities of Massachusetts Bay by providing youth with invested, caring adult mentors. To find out how to become a Big Brother or Big Sister, please visit the Get Involved webpage here.
About Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay (BBBSMB) has 60 years of experience fostering professionally supported one-on-one friendships between young people and adult mentors. With research and proven outcomes at its core, the organization is working to ensure every child has the support from caring adults that they need for healthy development and success in life. With a service area encompassing 155 cities and towns throughout the Massachusetts Bay area and over 1,800 youth currently being served, BBBSMB is helping to strengthen communities by providing kids with an invested, caring adult mentor in their lives. BBBSMB's vision is to inspire, engage and transform Massachusetts Bay by helping youth achieve their full potential, contributing to healthier families, better schools, brighter futures and stronger communities.
SOURCE Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay
More by this Source
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.