Billionaire Philanthropist Stewart Rahr Continues Generous Donations
NEW YORK, Nov. 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Stewart Rahr, the flamboyant philanthropic billionaire announced today several recent philanthropic gifts. Mr. Rahr is listed as #298 on the Forbes 400 according to Forbes Magazine.
Rahr sold his pharmaceutical distribution company for $1.3 billion, and put aside $100 million to establish the Rahr Foundation with which he donates to many charitable causes. Generous gifts have been made by the Rahr Foundation in the past 90 days to the following charities:
- $150,000 to the Melanoma Research Alliance, a charity devoted to research programs regarding melanoma
- $100,000 to The American Fallen Soldiers Project to help provide comfort and healing to the mourning families of our fallen military men and women.
- $100,000 to Daniel's Music Foundation, a non-profit organization which provides free music programs for people with disabilities in the New York City area.
- $100,000 to Harboring Hearts Foundation, to provide heart patients and their families with support through a home-like haven and a nurturing community of resources.
- $50,000 to RAJE (Russian-American Jewish Experience) an organization committed to sparking Jewish life in Russian American society
- $25,000 to George Jackson Academy, an independent, nonsectarian upper elementary and middle school for academically capable boys from lower-income and underserved families in New York City
- $25,000 to the Association For Advancement Of Blind & Retarded
- Additional donations were made to the Susan B. Komen Foundation, Amfar, Play For Pink, Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation, Hospital of Special Surgery, Lincoln Center for Performing Arts and other causes
"I have always lived my life by Winston Churchill's statement 'We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.' I am blessed to be able to give back so much to important causes. The Stewart Rahr Foundation will continue helping people in need," said philanthropist Stewart Rahr.
Rahr is a donor to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, the Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children, the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia University, the NYU School of Medicine, The Buoniconti Fund, the Robin Hood Foundation, Friends of the Israel Defense Forces, and the Celebrity Fight Night Foundation.
CONTACT RONN TOROSSIAN, 212-999-5585
SOURCE Stewart Rahr