BINGHAMTON, N.Y., April 16, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Binghamton University has unveiled its Road Map for the future and is targeting investments in research in order to become the premier public university of the 21st century. The University is investing in facilities and faculty in order to put Binghamton on the map as a premier public university for academics and research.
One of the University's primary goals is to be accepted into the Association of American Universities, an association of 62 leading public and private research universities in the United States and Canada. The Association includes the likes of Cornell in New York as well as Harvard, Stanford and Yale, just to name a few.
"The premier public university of the 21st century will engage in path-breaking research," said University President Harvey Stenger. "We are committed to doing what it takes to put Binghamton University on the map of best research institutions and I am confident we have what it takes to reach this goal."
The University will invest in areas where it has already achieved an international reputation for excellence. This will increase Binghamton's status as a major research university.
The focus on research is just one of the strategic priorities outlined by the University's recently launched strategic plan–Road Map 2013.
The 5 strategic priorities: "A premier public university will…
- …engage in path-breaking graduate education, research, scholarship and creative activities that shape the world.
- …provide a transformative learning community that prepares students for advanced education, careers and purposeful living.
- …unite to foster a diverse and inclusive campus culture.
- …enhance the University's economic, social and cultural impact through engagement from the local to the global level.
- …optimize the acquisition and allocation of human technological, financial and physical resources.
While advancing the University's research reputation is at the top of the list, the strategic priorities identified in the Road Map process will lead to new ideas, initiatives and innovations across the entire campus and even beyond the campus' borders. Stenger says the University is poised to begin this challenging but attainable vision for the future.
"With four principles; excellence, accountability, pride and balance guiding our every decision, I am confident we can become the premier public university of the 21st century. "
The Road Map plan can be viewed here: www.binghamton.edu/roadmap
SOURCE Binghamton University