BOSTON, Nov. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Wood-based feedstocks are expected to play a key role in the production of advanced biofuels over the next five to ten years in North America and Europe. Competing for the fiber available for wood pulp, biofuels present both a threat to and an opportunity for the pulp and paper industry, according to a new study released today by RISI, the leading information provider for the global forest products industry.
"Because the biofuels industry uses many of the same sources of fiber as conventional forest products, the cost of that fiber could increase. This could create a threat to pulp and paper companies who must compete with biofuels companies that are subsidized through tax incentives in Europe and North America," said Seth Walker, Associate Economist, Bioenergy at RISI.
"At the same time, this also creates an opportunity for product development and diversification for pulp and paper producers, who have well established woodfiber supply chains. Forest and timber plantation landowners who can supply this emerging market also stand to benefit," continued Walker.
Outlook for Wood-Based Biofuels provides an overview of emerging wood-to-liquid biofuels technologies. The study will help you understand the emerging wood-based biofuels market and the policy that is driving it in the US, Canada and the European Union.
- Outlook and price forecast for wood-based biofuels through 2022
- In-depth description of the policies driving the markets
- Overview of the technologies used to produce wood-based biofuels and which show the most promise financially
- Examination of the main players in the wood-based biofuels market and their business plans
- Detailed financial investment models of biofuel sample facilities
- Projections of biofuel capacity development
- Analysis of how woodfiber markets in North America and Europe will be impacted by wood based biofuels
The key companies covered by this report include: American Process, BlueFire Renewables, Cool Planet Energy Systems, Enerkem, KiOR, Mascoma, Sundrop Fuels, ZeaChem, BillerudKorsnäs, Finland Bioenergy Ajos BTL, Fortum, Rottneros, SunPine AB, UPM, VarmlandsMetanol AB, Woodspirit
About RISI (www.risi.com)
RISI is the leading information provider for the global forest products industry. The company works with clients in the pulp and paper, wood products, timber, biomass, tissue, nonwovens, printing and publishing industries to help them make better decisions.
Headquartered in Boston, MA, RISI operates additional offices throughout North and South America, Europe and Asia.
For Press Enquiries, please contact: