MINNEAPOLIS, March 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Bisquick® is flippin' for flapjacks during National Pancake Week, March 2-8. Just about everyone on the planet loves a good pancake. Over-the-top flavor combinations and toppings seem to be the trend du jour, and with so many adventurous cooks trying new flavors, who knows what stack will sweep the nation next during Bisquick's National Pancake Week…Chocolate Sriracha Bacon Pancakes anyone?
The Unofficial, Unhistorical History of Pancakes
The pancake's cake-y goodness has been making people happy since the dawn of man. Here are a few notable moments in the pancake's journey to greatness.
- 600 BC—The first recorded mention of pancakes dates back to ancient Greece and comes from a poet who described warm pancakes in one of his writings.
- 1100 AD—Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day) becomes a traditional celebration as a way to use up dairy products before Lent – the pancake breakfast is born.
- 1445—The year that villagers in Olney, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom, started their famous pancake race. Each year the winner receives a smooch from the church bell ringer.
- 1870s—The flapjack becomes known as the pancake and America is changed forever.
- 1880s—Maple syrup becomes the preferred topping of choice.
- 1931—Bisquick is first introduced and cooks across America start using it to make fluffy pancakes.
- 1985—To recognize the history and continuing popularity of pancakes, Bisquick created a week-long celebration—National Pancake Week. This week-long celebration is always during the week of Shrove Tuesday and Lent.
To find out more about pancake history, visit www.bettycrocker.com/NationalPancakeWeek.
What's Your Pancake Fix?
Did you know that what you do to get your day started says a lot about you? Bisquick has got the pancake to fit your style and help turn your family's day into a happy one. Take the Bisquick pancake personality quiz to find out which stack is your shortcut to happy.
Seven Happy Twists on the Classic Pancake
Need to feed a group? Serve them pancakes! Think about it; Bisquick batter comes together in a flash and goes with nearly any filling or topping, making pancake personalization easy for everyone. Families can have fun at home trying different ideas during National Pancake Week. From lemon-poppy seed to chocolate-stuffed, you're sure to smile after taking a bite from your personalized pancake stack.
- Sunday: What a better way to start the morning than with Strawberries and Cream Pancakes? Surprise the family with these tender pancakes layered with sweet berries and smooth cream.
- Monday: From Betty's Soul Food Collection, Praline Peach Pancakes combine peach yogurt, brown sugar and pecans creating the wow in yummy pancakes with matching syrup—the kids will love these for a flavorful dinner option.
- Tuesday: Try a delicious new flavor twist to Bisquick pancakes using poppy seed, rich sour cream, lemon juice and lemon peel in Lemon-Poppy Seed Pancakes. These are a fun lunch idea for the family instead of the same old sandwich.
- Wednesday: Blogger Jessica Walker from Lil Miss Bossy shares a sweet and festive pancake recipe for your St. Patrick's Day breakfast with her Top o' the Mornin Lucky Charms® Pancakes. This fun recipe is sure the surprise the kids anytime of the day.
- Thursday: Blogger Sarah W. Caron from Sarah's Cucina Bella shares Easy Blueberry-White Chocolate Pancakes—a family favorite pancake recipe made easy and all can get involved in the fun of making them.
- Friday: Blogger Tieghan Gerard of Half Baked Harvest has created a fun dinner option to end the week—Blackberry Buttermilk Pancakes. To add to the fun, these pancakes can be topped with a quick and easy blackberry syrup.
- Saturday: Blogger Arlene Cummings of Cooking with Sugar shares a favorite recipe—Chocolate-Stuffed Pancakes. These pancakes are a Saturday morning treat in her house. The hot chocolate melting out of the center makes them irresistible and a fun surprise for the entire family.
Click here to see all of these recipes and more from Bisquick.
About General Mills
General Mills is one of the world's leading food companies, operating in more than 100 countries around the world. Its brands include Cheerios, Fiber One, Haagen-Dazs, Nature Valley, Yoplait, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Green Giant, Old El Paso, Wanchai Ferry, Yoki, and more. Headquartered in Minneapolis, Minn., USA, General Mills had fiscal 2013 worldwide sales of US $17.8 billion. Visit www.generalmills.com.
SOURCE Betty Crocker