BURLINGTON, Mass., Feb. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Black Duck Software, the trusted partner for open source software (OSS) adoption, management, and governance, today reported it closed 2013 with record sales in Q4 driven by new subscriptions and license renewals. The full fiscal year 2013 saw a 35 percent year-over-year growth in licenses, with the greatest boost coming from Europe, where sales grew 42 percent year-over-year.
Fourth quarter 2013 results reflect increased OSS management adoption in the enterprise, particularly in financial services and payment solutions, automotive, manufacturing, mobile, health care, and companies delivering connected devices for the home.
New clients signed in Q4 2013 include Bosch und Siemens Hausgerate, Rolta India, Spirent, Teranet, Veveo, and Zettics, Inc. Black Duck now counts more than 1,300 companies worldwide as clients.
"As organizations increasingly rely on OSS, especially in highly regulated industries like financial services, they quickly recognize the logistical complexities of fully incorporating open source into their development process," said Lou Shipley, President and CEO, Black Duck. "We see open source management becoming as critical to a modern enterprise as SAP is to ERP and Salesforce is to CRM. In enterprises large and small, success will depend on visibility, control, and optimization."
Black Duck 2013 milestones included:
- Appointment of CEO Lou Shipley, whose background in software leadership is extensive
- Release of the Black Duck Suite 6.5 with Deep License Data™, providing insight into embedded licenses within open source projects
- New additions to Ohloh, the Black Duck Open Hub, including open source developer profiles, project contribution badges, and an at-a-glance project activity indicator
- Release of the seventh annual Future of Open Source Survey results
- Appointment of Phil Granof to the new post of CMO
- Announcement of a reseller partnership with JFrog and integration of JFrog Artifactory Pro into the Black Duck® Suite™
- New data revealing continued growth in the use of OSS in mobile projects
- Announcement of the fifth annual Black Duck Open Source Rookies of the Year, including Ansible and Yahoo! Mojito
- Hosting the ninth annual Open Source Think Tank event, featuring presentations from representatives of Netflix and OpenStack
Awards and recognition for the company included:
- Named to the SD Times 100 for the sixth consecutive year
- Included in the Software Magazine 500 for the fifth consecutive year
- Black Duck named "Best New Workplace" by leading real estate association CoreNetGlobal
About Black Duck Software
Offering award-winning software and consulting, Black Duck is the partner of choice for open source software adoption, governance and management. Enterprises of every size depend on Black Duck to harness the power of open source technologies and methods. As part of the greater OSS community, Black Duck connects developers to comprehensive OSS resources through Ohloh.net, and to the latest commentary from industry experts through the Open Source Delivers blog. Black Duck also hosts the Open Source Think Tank, an international event where thought leaders collaborate on the future of open source. Black Duck is headquartered near Boston and has offices in San Mateo, St. Louis, London, Paris, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul and Beijing. For more information about how to leverage open source to deliver faster innovation, greater creativity and improved efficiency, visit www.blackducksoftware.com and follow us at @black_duck_sw.
SOURCE Black Duck Software