BURLINGTON, Mass., Jan. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Black Duck Software, the trusted partner for open source software adoption, management, and governance, today reported record sales in the final quarter of 2012 and for the full year. The fourth quarter was the largest in the company's history, with sequential quarterly growth in excess of 30 percent. The company's annual new business growth of 39 percent demonstrates the importance of Black Duck's governance and compliance solutions for open source software (OSS) use.
Growth was fueled by new enterprise customers, especially in the financial services industry which is increasingly relying on open source technology and methods, along with the automotive, consumer electronics and industrial manufacturing verticals. In addition, Black Duck reported particularly strong results in greater China, with 48 percent growth in the region during 2012.
"One of the most important changes in 2012 regarding the strategic use of open source in software development is that the conversation is happening at all levels of the organizations – from CxOs to developers to competing companies in industry ecosystems – in an ever-growing number of verticals," said Tim Yeaton, President & CEO, Black Duck. "At Black Duck, we see particular emphasis on the need for open source governance and compliance as industries like financial services and manufacturing increasingly rely on software to differentiate their offerings, and expect this trend will garner even more momentum in 2013."
Black Duck 2012 milestones included:
- The addition of 62 new customers during the fourth quarter and 235 new customers during 2012, adding to the company's base of over 1,000 enterprises around the world. In addition to large, multinational organizations, new customers in the fourth quarter included CommScope, Inc., Danaher Corporation, Infinisource, Intermedia, Lone Rock Technology Group, North Plains Systems and Revinate.
- Thomas F. Bogan became Chairman of the Board. Bogan's experience and expertise in scaling early-stage enterprise software companies will contribute to Black Duck's mission to enable organizations to build innovative software faster through the managed use of OSS.
- The release of Black Duck Suite 6.1, the market-leading open source software (OSS) management and governance platform. Suite 6.1 includes Express Scan, which speeds open source code discovery and delivers ease-of-use, scalability and code visibility to improve compliance and developer collaboration, and an enhanced Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tool integration framework. Suite 6.1 can be deployed on premises or as Software-as-a-Service (SaaS).
- Significant updates to Ohloh.net, including:
- Licensing Ohloh data under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.
- Ohloh Code, the most powerful open source code search engine available free of charge to the open source community.
- The Ohloh Organizations feature, enabling corporations, foundations, nonprofits, educational institutions, and government entities to identify affiliated projects and begin aggregating key statistics about the code, contributions, and people involved.
- Black Duck announced the availability of the Black Duck Code Quality Audit (CQA) service, a scalable solution which quickly delivers a comprehensive code quality report and bill of materials for internal audits and mergers and acquisitions (M&A) requirements.
- Black Duck and Olliance Consulting, a division of Black Duck, in conjunction with global management consulting firm BearingPoint, announced the availability of the Black Duck® Governance Fast Start™ for Automotive and the Governance Fast Start™ for GENIVI Members, packages designed to speed and reduce the cost of development for automotive manufacturers and Tier 1 suppliers.
Awards and recognition for the company included:
- Named to the SD Times 100 for the fifth consecutive year. Black Duck was honored in the QA & Security category of this list of leaders, innovators, and influencers in software development.
- Included in the Software Magazine 500 for the fourth consecutive year. Black Duck ranked #383, moving up 23 spots from its 2011 ranking.
- Rated as a Top Place to Work in Massachusetts in the 2012 employee-based survey from The Boston Globe.
- Garnered silver honors in the Best in Biz Award, the only independent business awards program judged by member of the press and industry analysts. The company was recognized in the Fastest-Growing Company of the Year category among mid-sized companies (101-1,000 employees).
About Black Duck Software
Offering award-winning software and consulting, Black Duck is the partner of choice for open source software adoption, governance and management. Enterprises of every size depend on Black Duck to harness the power of open source technologies and methods. As part of the greater OSS community, Black Duck connects developers to comprehensive OSS resources through Ohloh.net, and to the latest commentary from industry experts through the Open Source Delivers blog. Black Duck also hosts the Open Source Think Tank, an international event where thought leaders collaborate on the future of open source. Black Duck is headquartered near Boston and has offices in San Mateo, St. Louis, London, Paris, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul and Beijing. For more information about how to leverage open source to deliver faster innovation, greater creativity and improved efficiency, visit www.blackducksoftware.com and follow us at @black_duck_sw.
SOURCE Black Duck Software