Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida Foundation Awards $3 Million to Improve Access to Health Care
JACKSONVILLE, Fla., Oct. 22, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida Foundation Board of Directors today announced the release of $3 million to provide quality health services and address health care disparities in Florida.
The grants, funded through the IMPACT program, increase access to quality, health-related services for the people of Florida, especially those who are uninsured and underserved.
"With these investments, we're targeting our resources to the communities that need them most," said Susan Towler, vice president of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida Foundation. "This demonstrates our commitment to help people and communities in Florida achieve better health."
IMPACT program grants are strategically awarded to diverse, philanthropic, community-based solutions that improve program capacity and reduce barriers to access; promote collaboration, foster innovation and sustain quality; and leverage financial, human and other resources to maximize measurable impact.
The funds announced today will help 15 community-based organizations and health departments provide core medical and support services for adults and children.
Recipients, grant totals and funded program areas include:
- Alachua County Health Department - $300,000 over three years – satellite medical clinic to increase access to care
- Catholic Charities of Central Florida - $120,000 over two years – primary, dental and specialty care
- Children's Volunteer Health Network - $100,000 over two years – mobile dental unit serving Walton and Okaloosa Counties
- Community AIDS Resource - $200,000 over two years – dental services in Broward County
- Franklin County Health Department - $300,000 over three years – dental care clinic
- Health and Hope Clinic - $200,000 over two years – medical supplies and salary of nurse practitioner in Escambia County clinic
- Manatee County Rural Health Services - $300,000 over three years – mobile dental unit
- Mental Health America of Northeast Florida - $102,000 over two years – continuity of care for individuals released from inpatient treatment centers
- New Horizons of the Treasure Coast - $190,000 over three years – primary care services for patients suffering with severe mental illness and chronic diseases in Ft. Pierce
- Speech and Hearing Center - $200,000 over two years – annual speech/language delays and deficiency screenings and free therapy for children in Duval County
- Sundari Foundation - $100,000 over two years – clinic operations for Lotus House homeless shelter for women and children in Miami-Dade
- Universal Heritage Institute - $288,000 over three years – clinic and salary for advanced registered nurse and program coordinator in greater Miami-Dade and Broward Counties
- Vision is Priceless Council - $200,000 over two years – vision screenings, examinations, glasses and specialty care throughout northeast Florida
- Volunteers in Medicine Clinic - $200,000 over two years – full-time nurse practitioner to provide mental health services in Martin County
- We Care Jacksonville - $200,000 over two years – full-time registered nurse/case manager for chronic disease and behavioral health patients in Duval County
The BCBSF Foundation awarded more than $1.9 million in new grants to 22 nonprofit organizations in 2011. The program has invested over $15 million to 230 statewide organizations since 2001.
About the BCBSF Foundation
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida Foundation is a separate, philanthropic affiliate of Florida Blue, the Blue Cross and Blue Shield plan for Floridians, incorporated in the state of Florida. The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida Foundation, and its parent, Florida Blue, are independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies. For more information on the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida Foundation, please visit its website at www.bluefoundationfl.com and www.embraceahealthyfl.org.
SOURCE Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida Foundation
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.