Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan extends enrollment deadline for off-marketplace individual health plans through December 31 Deadline is today for enrolling in subsidized ACA plans for Jan. 1 effective coverage
DETROIT, Dec. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan is extending the enrollment deadline for some of its individual health plans to Dec. 31, giving Michigan consumers another week to enroll in a health plan and ensure uninterrupted coverage into the New Year.
- Deadline Dec. 24 for subsidy-eligible plans - Michigan consumers who want to apply government subsidies to their ACA health plan need to complete enrollment by Dec. 24 in order to have that coverage effective Jan. 1, 2014. Consumers who may be subsidy eligible must complete an application on healthcare.gov to verify and apply their subsidy to insurance premium costs. Health plan advisors will be available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to enroll consumers.
- Deadline extended to December 31 for off-marketplace plans - for consumers who do not qualify for government subsidies, BCBSM/BCN offer an identical set of ACA-compliant products available "off-marketplace." Consumers do not need to complete an application on healthcare.gov and will now have until Dec. 31, to select a plan for a Jan. 1, 2014 coverage effective date.
- Deadline also extended to December 31 for Keep Fit - Keep Fit is the only pre-ACA health plan left open by BCBSM for 2014. People enrolling in Keep Fit will have a coverage effective date of Dec. 31, 2013 and can remain in this pre-ACA plan until Dec. 2014.
Subsidies cannot be applied to either the BCBSM/BCN off-marketplace plans or Keep Fit.
Michigan residents can enroll by:
- Calling a Blues' health plan advisor at 855-892-8089.
- Contacting a licensed Blue Cross agent.
- Enrolling online at bcbsm.com/myblue.
"Blue Cross wants to give Michigan residents every opportunity to obtain health coverage and have it effective January 1," said Terry Burke, vice president for individual business at BCBSM. "We have expanded call center hours, added people to our phone lines to answer questions, and are now extending our enrollment deadline to give people more time."
Last week, Blue Cross has extended call center hours and increased staff to more than 400 licensed health plan advisors to manage the increased call volume throughout the month of December. Advisors will be available:
- Dec. 23 from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Dec. 24 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Dec. 25, closed for Christmas Day.
- Dec. 26-30 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Dec. 31 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan is a nonprofit corporation and independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. For more information, visit www.bcbsm.com and www.mibluesperspectives.com.
SOURCE Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan