DETROIT, Nov. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Ford Field will see "mo" than just traditional Honolulu blue at this year's annual Thanksgiving Day football game on Nov. 22. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan is supplying 50,000 Movember-themed towels as part of a partnership with the Detroit Lions to promote a cause both are passionate about — raising awareness about men's health and the importance of prostate cancer screening during "Movember." BCBSM will make a financial contribution to the Michigan Institute of Urology Men's Health Foundation at the game to fight prostate cancer.
Throughout November, BCBSM is asking men across Michigan to grow moustaches to encourage each other to take control of their health throughout the month of November. The moustaches are symbols of a nationwide movement referred to as "Movember." Championed by the Movember Foundation, the goal is to "change the face of men's health" by raising awareness among men of the dangers of health risks that go undetected and untreated.
"Tens of thousands of people will descend on downtown Detroit for the annual Thanksgiving Day game, parade and Turkey Trot race, making it a great opportunity to draw attention to a serious issue in a fun, lighthearted way," said Daniel J. Loepp, president and CEO of BCBSM. "By grooming our moustaches, my colleagues and I are proud to encourage others to help change the face of men's health."
The Michigan Blues are adding to the camaraderie of Movember by extending the campaign to social media, where men can use the hashtag #ShoYoMo on Twitter to engage each other and share comments and photos of their moustache-growing efforts. All month long, the Blues' online community, www.ahealthiermichigan.org, will focus on men's health concerns. The Blues' iconic Jefferson Avenue billboard in Detroit will also "show its mo" for men's health throughout the month-long campaign.
In support of the sold-out game against the Houston Texans and the battle against prostate cancer, the Blues are planning the following activities:
- America's Thanksgiving Parade: A team of BCBSM volunteers will be among the crowd encouraging attendees to take photos, tweet their Movember moustache using #ShoYoMo, and visit AHealthierMichigan.org to view their photo featured in the "Changing the Face" graphic.
- Detroit Lions Annual Thanksgiving Day Game: BCBSM is partnering with the Detroit Lions on Thanksgiving Day to encourage men to make the pledge to improve their health. The Blues will be giving away 50,000 Movember-themed towels, encouraging fans to show their support throughout the game. Limited edition Matthew Stafford/Movember Fatheads (5"x7" size) will be given to the first 2,500 people who make the pledge. Fans will also have an opportunity to "change their face" to support men's health by having their face painted to include their own "mo" at the game.
- Michigan Institute of Urology Men's Health Foundation: BCBSM will donate $10,000 to aid in prostate cancer research and men's health advocacy.
The Blues encourage Michigan residents to continue to support Men's health throughout November. Here's a look at some of the Blues' efforts:
- AHealthierMichigan.org stories of strength (Nov. 1-30)
AHealthierMichigan.org and MIBluesPerspectives.com will have a series in November featuring men's health survivor stories, as well as looking at men's health research being conducted in Michigan. Tips for supporting the health of the men and boys in your life, and notable Michigan Movember participants will be part of the month-long dialogue.
- #ShoYoMo contest on AHealthierMichigan.org (Nov. 1-30)
The Blues will host a weekly contest on AHealthierMichigan.org throughout November encouraging followers and readers to show their moustaches and tell their stories of support for men's health month. Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford and Blues' executive vice president (and former Detroit Lion) Ken Dallafior will kick off the month with a video message. A men's health challenge will be issued weekly on AHealthierMichigan.org, encouraging men to show their support and #ShoYoMo on Twitter and Facebook. Participants will have the chance to win a number of prizes, including, signed Matthew Stafford memorabilia.
- Jefferson Avenue billboard (Nov. 1-30)
The iconic BCBSM Jefferson billboard will show its support throughout November by showing its "mo" to help change the face of men's health.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network are nonprofit corporations and independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. For more company information, visit bcbsm.com.
SOURCE Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan