FORT MILL, S.C., Jan. 21, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Britax Child Safety, Inc., in cooperation with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Health Canada, and Transport Canada, is conducting a recall including certain B-Safe 35 and B-Safe 35 Elite infant car seat models manufactured between October 1, 2014 and July 1, 2015 and identified on www.bsafe35recall.com.
In a continued commitment to child passenger safety, Britax has determined that certain B-Safe 35 and B-Safe 35 Elite infant car seats can develop cracks in and around the carry handle grip. If the cracks lead to the handle breaking, then the seat could be dropped, causing potential injury to the infant.
To address this issue, all registered users in the U.S. and Canada will be receiving a free remedy kit containing instructions and a reinforcement bracket that will attach to the infant car seat carry handle. Expected delivery of remedy kits is within 10 to 14 business days of this recall announcement or a newly added registration.
Of note: This recall affects the carry handle portion of the infant car seat only and does not affect the performance of the infant car seat when used as a child restraint in a motor vehicle. It is safe to continue to use your car seat when secured in a vehicle or as part of a Britax stroller system until the remedy kit has been installed.
Consumers should determine whether their infant car seat is included in the recall by visiting: www.bsafe35recall.com or by verifying the model number and date of manufacture as follows.
- Look for the DOM label: The DOM label is located at the back of the infant car seat shell.
- Look for the model numbers and date range listed on www.bsafe35recall.com.
In the interim, consumers affected by this recall should follow these steps:
- Visit www.bsafe35recall.com to register and verify existing registrations. Remedy kits should be received within 10 to 14 business days of registration.
- Do not return product to the retailer.
- Continue to safely use the car seat when secured in a vehicle or on a Britax stroller, but do not lift or carry the car seat by the handle until the remedy kit has been installed.
- Before installing the remedy kit, review the printed instructions. For a video detailing how to install the kit, please visit www.bsafe35recall.com.
Consumers who own seats with carry handles that are already cracked or fractured and consumers who have other questions or concerns, should contact the Britax Customer Service Department at: 1-800-683-2045. Customer Service business hours are Monday-Thursday 8:30 am - 5:45 pm (ET) and Friday 8:30 am - 4:45 pm (ET). Consumers living outside of the US or Canada, should e-mail Britax.Recall@britax.com.
About Britax Child Safety Inc.
Britax manufactures and markets a full line of premium car seats, strollers, baby carriers and accessories. Since its founding in Britain in 1939, the company has established itself as a trusted juvenile products brand, known for a commitment to thoughtful, innovative engineering of safe, top-quality and intuitively designed products.
Britax USA is located in Fort Mill, SC and employs more than 200 people. For more information, visit www.britaxusa.com.
SOURCE Britax Child Safety, Inc.