SINGAPORE, June 2, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Broadcast Asia -- Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today introduced a family of integrated system-on-chip devices (SoCs) that add High Definition (HD) High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) for hybrid cable, direct broadcast satellite (DBS), terrestrial and IP set-top boxes (STBs). Broadcom's new single-chip, pin-compatible devices enable operators and broadcasters in emerging markets to easily migrate to the latest, high-efficiency video compression standard, realizing up to 50 percent savings in video bandwidth. Broadcom will demonstrate its HEVC-enabled STB devices for emerging markets at Broadcast Asia in Singapore, June 2-5, 2015. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
Broadcom's new family of devices allow service providers in markets such as India, Latin America, Russia and Vietnam to have greater flexibility to deliver more competitive channel line-ups and improved content quality over their existing networks. The integration of HEVC also enables operators to deliver HD content more efficiently, upgrade content with vibrant 10-bit color and deliver higher frame rates for smoother high-motion sequences.
"Broadcom has integrated HEVC into our portfolio of single-chip hybrid cable, DBS, terrestrial and IP designs to enable our customers to quickly and easily upgrade current set-top box platforms to the most advanced compression standard," said John H. Gleiter, Broadcom Vice President of Marketing, Broadband & Connectivity Group. "As operators increasingly choose HEVC to optimize their current networks and provide new streaming video services, Broadcom continues its industry-leading efforts to proliferate HEVC across set-top box designs."
Broadcom's new devices provide multiple options with integrated high-performance tuners and advanced modulators for DVB-S2, DVB-T2, and DVB-C. The new HEVC SoCs feature drop-in pin-, power-, security- and software- compatibility with Broadcom's field-proven single chip advanced video coding (AVC) STB family of devices. This allows service providers and set-top box manufacturers to rapidly upgrade existing designs and deployments to support HEVC with minimal cost impact.
Key Features of Broadcom's HEVC-enabled High-Definition STB Devices
- Pin, software and security compatible with production AVC devices in common 15x15mm or 19x19mm packages
- High performance MIPS application processor with L2 cache
- Low-cost DDR3 memory
- Advanced security engine supporting the latest CAS and DRM technologies
- HD HEVC 1080p60 Main-10 multi-format decoder
- Ethernet PHY and USB interface
- Ultra-low BOM two-layer PCB reference designs
Additional Features of the BCM73625
- Compatible with existing BCM7362 family designs
- DVB-S2 tuner and demodulator
- SATA 3 for DVR recording
Additional Features of the BCM75635
- Compatible with existing BCM7563 family designs
- DVB-T2 tuner and demodulator for hybrid STB access (Europe and South Africa)
Additional Features of the BCM75848 and BCM7839
- Compatible with existing BCM7584 and BCM7583 family designs
- Market-leading Full Band Capture cable receiver with up to four QAM demodulators for DVR and multi-room functionality
- SATA 3 for DVR recording on BCM75848
- Direct I/F connection to DOCSIS companions for cost-effective, modular two-way system compatibility
- OpenGL-ES 2.0 3D graphics GPU for rich HTML5 applications and OTT services
Broadcom's HEVC-enabled series of devices for emerging markets, including the BCM73625, BCM75635, BCM75839 and BCM75848, are currently sampling.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With one of the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband & Cable