IRVINE, Calif. and SEOUL, South Korea, April 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- 5G WiFi hotspot router delivers dramatic range, capacity and power advantages
- Solution helps alleviate cellular spectrum crunch by offloading data traffic to Wi-Fi networks
- Router enables SK Telecom to deliver faster, more reliable service to customers
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, and SK Telecom today announced the industry's first 5G WiFi hotspot router. By integrating Broadcom's BCM4708 and BCM4360 into its newest platform, SK Telecom will ensure more reliable connectivity to its customers by offloading data traffic to an IP network via a fast and robust 5G WiFi connection. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
"SK Telecom is dedicated to leading the deployment of 802.11ac (5G WiFi) hotspot routers in Korea," said Choi Jin-sung, Executive Vice President and Head of ICT R&D Division, SK Telecom. "By partnering with Broadcom, the pioneer of 5G WiFi, SK Telecom will provide an upgraded Wi-Fi experience for our customers through differentiated technologies and services befitting the Gigabit Internet environment that is expected to expand rapidly from 2013."
"The explosion of Internet data traffic over mobile networks is putting stress on crowded cellular networks," said Dino Bekis, Broadcom Senior Director, Product Marketing, Wireless Connectivity Combos. "As a result, watching video or streaming content on a mobile device can be choppy and slow. SK Telecom is taking a leadership role in addressing this challenge by integrating 5G WiFi into the newest hotspot router platform and offloading data to Wi-Fi to deliver an optimal experience to its customers."
5G WiFi Product Highlights
- Broadcom's 5G WiFi is three times faster and up to six times more power efficient than previous generations of Wi-Fi.
- Products powered by 5G WiFi provide broader coverage and allow consumers to experience faster video streaming and connect multiple devices simultaneously all while extending battery life.
- Broadcom's TurboQAM® technology implements the highest data-rate 256-QAM mode in 2.4 GHz for faster throughputs.
- Advanced beamforming, Low-Density Parity Check (LDPC) code and Space-Time Block Code (STBC) support for better coverage and more reliable connectivity.
- For more information on 5G WiFi, visit www.5GWiFi.org.
Broadcom is leveraging its vast IP portfolio and expertise in connectivity to drive the adoption of 5G WiFi across all product segments, including routers, TVs, set-top boxes, smartphones and tablets.
The 5G WiFi hotspot router is now available.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
About SK Telecom
SK Telecom (NYSE: SKM, KSE: 017670), established in 1984, is Korea's largest telecommunications company with more than 26 million subscribers, accounting for over 50% of the market. The company reached KRW 16.301 trillion in revenue in 2012. As the world's first company to commercialize CDMA, CDMA 2000 1x, CDMA EV-DO and HSDPA networks, SK Telecom launched the nation's first LTE service in July 2011. At present, the company offers differentiated LTE-specialized services supported by its strong LTE network, while actively developing core LTE-A technologies. It has recently designated its three new growth businesses, namely Healthcare, Solution and Media, to lead the upcoming era of ICT convergence. For more information, please visit www.sktelecom.com or email to email@example.com
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Mobile & Wireless