Broadcom Announces New StrataXGS® Switch to Lead 10 Gigabit Ethernet into Mobile Backhaul Networks
Highly Integrated Carrier Ethernet Switch Addresses Mobile Data Boom and Escalating Video Traffic
IRVINE, Calif., June 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Supports network transition from 1 to 10Gbps Ethernet to manage increased capacity demands
- Delivers advanced carrier-grade traffic control and real-time monitoring
- Enables high density cellular networks with more than 2X increase in user capacity
- Integrated ARM-based CPU subsystem allows compact system design and low chip count
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced a new high-capacity StrataXGS® switch that delivers a 40 percent I/O bandwidth increase1 and integrated 10Gbps serial interfaces, in addition to more than doubling the forwarding table scale. The StrataXGS BCM56450 switch is optimized for next generation networks with an integrated traffic manager that provides fine-grained quality of service while addressing the growing scale of service-aware networks. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
With mobile data traffic predicted to increase 12-fold by 2018 and video traffic projected to increase by 60 percent annually2, service providers require increased capacity, reliability and in-field manageability. The StrataXGS BCM56450 switch addresses these requirements with a single-chip solution, integrating high bandwidth switching with a control-plane processor, hierarchical traffic management, packet timing recovery, and advanced operation, administration and maintenance (OAM) functions.
"Given the rise of mobile data traffic, carriers are focused on improving their backhaul strategy to meet end users' evolving needs while offering more services," said Ram Velaga, Broadcom Vice President and General Manager, Core Switch. "Today's introduction builds on our established StrataXGS leadership and longstanding innovations in carrier Ethernet to equip carriers with a high-performing foundation that supports their rapidly evolving mobile backhaul needs."
- Advanced OAM functions and hardware-based protection switching enable a highly reliable backhaul network
- Fully integrated timing solution with integrated digital phase-locked loop and 1588 v2 and synchronous Ethernet hardware support provides highly accurate time synchronization
- Carrier Ethernet packet processor delivers line-rate L2 and VLAN switching, L3 routing, MPLS, MPLS-TP, and provider backbone bridging (PBB) while supporting L2, L3, MPLS, or PBB deployment models
- Channelization over Ethernet and hierarchical traffic manager with DDR3-based packet buffer memory provides fine grained quality of service (QoS) to aggregate sub-1G microwave and small cell backhaul networks
- On-chip ARM-based CPU and integrated 10G optical PHYs reduce bill-of-materials cost and enable a compact system design
Leading Carrier Ethernet Portfolio
Broadcom's new StrataXGS BCM56450 switch expands the industry-leading mobile backhaul silicon portfolio, enabling carrier class IP-based network solutions by delivering optimal performance, quality-of-service and end-to-end subscriber bandwidth guarantees. The StrataXGS BCM56450 switch complements Broadcom's existing service provider solutions and delivers 10GbE to next-generation 4G LTE networks.
The StrataXGS BCM56450 switch is now sampling with production slated for 1H 2014.
1Compared to previous generation device, StrataXGS BCM56440
2Ericsson Mobility Report, June 3, 2013
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, StrataXGS®, Connecting everything® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Infrastructure & Networking
More by this Source
Broadcom Announces Open Network Function Virtualization Platform
Feb 20, 2014, 08:00 ET
Broadcom Announces Industry's First 10 Gbps Millimeter Wave SoC
Feb 19, 2014, 08:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.