IRVINE, Calif., Nov. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Cost-effective alternative to bundled solutions for designing custom cloud computing servers
- Ideally suited for hyper-scale server environments that demand intelligent management features with very low power consumption and minimal physical footprint
- Supports open and interoperable standards-based remote discovery, monitoring, control and management features
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today launched the first Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) Controller to integrate a management controller with a high-performance network controller. The Broadcom BCM5725 device delivers a streamlined, power-efficient and robust Ethernet and manageability solution ideally suited for large data center and cloud environments. Visit www.broadcom.com to learn more.
As companies deploy public and private cloud environments, they require scalable, cost- and energy-efficient architectures that can support today's cloud computing demands. The BCM5725 device replaces three separate components from existing server designs—including the baseboard management controller, GbE controller and system management firmware. With the BCM5725 device, Broadcom is delivering a configurable systems management solution to scale out new servers for high-performance cloud computing applications.
"Broadcom is delivering cost-effective, open and standards-based system management technologies to support emerging trends such as cloud computing," said Greg Scherer, Broadcom's vice president of server and storage strategy. "We are enabling a new class of networking products, such as Open Compute Project AMD Open 3.0 Modular Server, through our advanced Ethernet controllers with enhanced manageability and features."
"Integrating the system management functionality into the Ethernet controller highlights the trend that IDC is tracking of increasing intelligence at every point in the flow of IP traffic, and IDC believes that this feature will help accelerate adoption of non-proprietary, open hardware in line with the goals of the Open Compute Project," said Abhi Dugar, IDC Research Manager for Cloud and Mobile Infrastructure Semiconductors.
BCM5725 Key Features
- Integrated 10/100/1000BASE-T and transceiver
- IEEE compliant with IEEE 802.3az-2010
- Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE)
- x1 PCI Express+ v2.1 at 5.0 GT/s or 2.5 GT/s
- SMASH 2.0/WS-Management and IPMI 2.0/DCMI 1.5 standards based system management
- TruManage™ technology that enables a comprehensive set of system management features, including:
- Asset tracking of hardware/software inventory, and sensors-based monitoring
- Power control (graceful and ungraceful) and boot control (one-time and persistent boot configurations)
- User account management (accounts, roles and privileges)
- Alerts and indications; event and audit logs
- BIOS management
- Management firmware update
- Text console and media redirections
- Power consumption reporting and power capping
Broadcom's BCM5725 devices are currently sampling with volume production slated for Q413.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Infrastructure & Networking