Broadcom Brings Targeted Small Cell Solution to Emerging Markets with Integrated Gateway Design and Platform Combination of Broadcom Hardware and Alcatel-Lucent Software Opens Opportunities for New Fast Growing Markets
DALLAS, Dec. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Small Cells America Conference
- Improved design targets expanding small cell regulatory trends in Brazil and other emerging markets
- Provides operators with more options for small cell deployments with expanded supplier network
- Solution offers mobile network operators a cost-effective complement to macro-only deployments
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced an integrated gateway platform optimized to simplify small cell deployment in emerging markets. Broadcom's highly integrated platform combines the BCM61630 single-chip solution with Alcatel-Lucent's widely-deployed small cells software for Ultra-Broadband Access. The platform allows Original Device Manufacturers (ODMs) to create and integrate small cells into a wide variety of products that will easily integrate into existing core operator networks. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
Small cell deployments are gaining traction in both established and emerging markets as wireless operators look for cost-effective methods to offload traffic from the macro network1. Recognizing the importance of small cells to improve telecommunications services, Brazil announced its intent to regulate the use of small cells within the region and trials are currently underway2.
"Operators consider small cells to be a fundamental ingredient to increase end user quality of experience for voice and mobile broadband in residential and in-building locations in the deployment of next generation (3G/4G) wireless network infrastructure," said Michael Howard, Principal Analyst at Infonetics Research. "Small cell deployment allows wireless operators to cost-effectively improve both coverage and capacity, especially in areas where access would otherwise be limited or unavailable."
"Our continued relationship with Broadcom will increase the availability of a wide variety of high quality small cells to residential customers in emerging markets," said Mike Schabel, Vice President of Small Cell Business, Alcatel-Lucent. "This will allow operators to meet the needs of their customers while also optimizing their networks to be highly efficient."
"Our integrated gateway platform combines the best of both worlds. By bringing together our hardware and wireless connectivity expertise with Alcatel-Lucent's leadership in small cells, operators now have the option to deliver advanced connectivity to customers in emerging markets," said Greg Fischer, Broadcom Vice President and General Manager, Broadband Carrier Access. "Together, we are driving the next generation of converged, flexible and smarter networks."
Key Features of the Integrated Gateway Platform
- High-performance design accelerates small cell development and time-to-market
- Highly integrated platform includes digital baseband processor and RF transceiver
- Allows small cells to be built straight into DSL, cable or fiber-fed home gateway
- Single-box approach significantly reduces home network complexity and installation
- Enriches residential broadband experience – extending wireless and wireline voice, video and data services to every part of a residence, even in wireless "blind spots"
Key Features of the BCM61630
- Highly integrated CMOS device
- Second generation in Broadcom's line of WCDMA femtocell access point SoCs
- High HSPA data rates with maximum throughput at up to 21.6 Mbps
- Advanced SON and sniffing capabilities without addition of external components
- Highly integrated multiband RF and soft GPS receiver enable ultra-low power and lowest cost bill of materials
Broadcom's femtocell gateway platform is immediately available and in production.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband