Broadcom Delivers World's First 28nm Multicore Communications Processor Series
Powerful New Security Advances and Performance Gains for Enterprise, Data Center and Service Provider Networks
IRVINE, Calif., Oct. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Industry's most feature-rich communications processor delivers up to 400% greater performance1
- Quad-issue, quad-threading and 2 GHz out-of-order execution with security acceleration technology
- Expands addressable market and technical leadership in $3B communications processor market
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today introduced the 28 nanometer (nm) XLP® 200-Series, a new line of low-power multicore communications processor solutions optimized to meet the performance, scalability and efficiency demands of enterprise, service provider 4G/LTE, data center, cloud computing and software defined networking (SDN) environments. Today's introduction demonstrates the successful integration of NetLogic Microsystems and notably expands Broadcom's addressable market within the $3B communications processor market. Visit www.broadcom.com to learn more.
The Broadcom® XLP 200-Series, the world's first 28nm multicore communications processor family, delivers up to 400 percent faster performance than competing solutions while lowering power consumption by up to 60 percent2. Providing optimum performance for data plane, control plane and heterogeneous applications, the XLP 200-Series is the only communications processor family in the industry to combine quad issue, quad threading and 2 GHz out-of-order execution capabilities with integrated networking and security acceleration — all in a single-chip solution.
Total Security Acceleration Technology
To address the exponential growth in malware and intrusion threats in the network and cloud, the XLP 200-Series features the industry's most complete, high performance suite of security features, allowing network managers to thoroughly inspect, encrypt, authenticate and secure Internet traffic at wire speeds. Developed in partnership with the world's leading network equipment companies, the XLP 200-Series is the first to integrate a grammar processing engine, a fourth generation regular expression (RegEx) engine, and a broad range of autonomous encryption and authentication processing engines to deliver comprehensive Layer 7 deep-packet inspection (DPI) capabilities and complete offload of the compute-intensive security functions from the CPU cores.
- Global IP traffic expected to grow 18-fold by 20163
- The number of connected devices is expected to reach 50B by 2020 (6X the world's population)3
- Massive traffic growth challenges current network architecture4
- Overall cloud IP traffic will grow at a CAGR of 66 percent from 2012 – 20155
XLP 200-Series Key Features
- Best-in-class Processor Core: Featuring quad-issue, quad-threading and out-of-order execution
- Total Security Acceleration Technology: High performance grammar processing, DPI/RegEx engine, encryption/decryption and authentication delivers unparalleled hardware protection against malware and other security threats
- Autonomous Acceleration Engine® Modules: Offloads processing tasks, freeing up the cores to perform other compute-intensive application dependent tasks
- Hardware Acceleration: For important communications functions such as packet ordering, network management, compression/decompression and RAID5/6 storage
- Processor Core Enhancements: Improved pre-fetch performance and branch mis-predict penalties
- Processor Cache Architecture: MOESI+ coherent, three-level cache architecture and shared 16-way set associative Layer 3 cache
- Memory Subsystem: On-chip DDR3 memory controller; configurable channel width (40 or 72 bits)
- Fast Messaging Network® System: Low-latency, high-speed system allows non-intrusive internal communication and control messaging among NXCPUs, acceleration engines and input/output
- Software Development Kit (SDK): Comprehensive SDK with reference and production-ready software components accelerates time-to-market
The XLP 200-Series is sampling now with production volume slated for 2H 2013. Multiple device options and configurations are available. Visit www.broadcom.com to learn more.
Ron Jankov, Broadcom's Senior Vice President & GM, Processors & Wireless Infrastructure
"The innovation achieved with our latest 28nm XLP-200 processor series is a win-win for our customers, delivering best-in-class performance and power consumption to enable a new class of highly efficient networks. Delivering on 28nm within just eight months post-acquisition is a testament to Broadcom's world-class expertise in acquiring technology with absolutely no interruption in innovation or execution. NetLogic Microsystem's industry-leading product portfolio has clearly benefited from access to Broadcom's broad set of leading-edge technologies, tools, centralized resources and ecosystem."
Sergis Mushell, Principal Research Analyst, Gartner
"Through its acquisition of NetLogic, Broadcom has gained major presence and brand recognition in the embedded processor market. Being first to 28nm is a milestone which sets a new bar in the competitive landscape of embedded processors. Considering the introduction of this new processor in concert with Broadcom's broad Ethernet silicon product line, positions Broadcom as a major supplier into data-plane and control-plane applications."
Linley Gwennap, Founder and Principal Analyst, The Linley Group
"Through its acquisition of NetLogic, Broadcom has emerged as a major player in the communications processor market. Being first to 28nm is an important competitive advantage, and the new innovations in the XLP 200-Series deliver the performance and power advantages required for next-generation networking equipment. The XLP 200 extends Broadcom's reach into the high-volume control plane market and, when combined with the company's leading Ethernet silicon, delivers the industry's most complete solutions."
1 As compared to competitive communications processors
2 As compared to competitive 65nm and 40nm solutions
3 Cisco Visual Networking Index: Forecast and Methodology, 2011-2016
4 Infonetics Service Provider Forecast, 4Q11
5 Cloud Index, 2010 – 2015
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Cautions Regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the federal securities laws, including the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our business and industry, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "should," "would," "could," "potential," "continue," "ongoing," similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, references to the size of and Broadcom's participation in the communications processor market and the timing of volume production for the XLP 200-Series. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for Broadcom in connection with its XLP 200-Series include, but are not limited to:
- Fluctuations in the manufacturing yields of our third party semiconductor foundries and other problems or delays in the fabrication, assembly, testing or delivery of our products;
- trends in the communications processor markets in various geographic regions;
- the gain or loss of a key customer, design win or order; and
- competitive pressures and other factors such as the qualification, availability and pricing of competing products and technologies and the resulting effects on sales and pricing of our products.
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings discuss the foregoing risks as well as other important risk factors that could contribute to such differences or otherwise affect our business, results of operations and financial condition. The forward-looking statements in this release speak only as of this date. We undertake no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statement, except as required by law.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, the Connecting everything logo, XLP®, Autonomous Acceleration Engine® and Fast Messaging Network® are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Infrastructure & Networking
More by this Source
Broadcom Announces System Management Solution for Cloud Computing
Nov 05, 2013, 08:00 ET
Broadcom Announces Server-Class ARMv8-A Multi-Core Processor Architecture
Oct 15, 2013, 08:00 ET
D-Link Selects Broadcom StrataGX and 5G WiFi SoCs for New Enterprise Access Point
Sep 11, 2013, 08:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.