Broadcom Expands Offerings for Metropolitan and Enterprise 3G/LTE Multi-mode Small Cell Networks Metrocell Series Provides Operators with Single Infrastructure Supporting Both 3G and 4G LTE
BARCELONA, Spain, Feb. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Mobile World Congress 2013 –
- Industry's first dual-mode WCDMA and LTE small cell SoCs
- Enables carriers to offload and manage data traffic from mobile networks
- Allows carriers to simultaneously support current 3G subscribers and migrate to 4G LTE as mobile traffic increases
- Industry leading power efficiency enables Power-over-Ethernet (PoE), reduces bill of materials and enables small footprint
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today launched the first dual-mode small cell family of system-on-a-chips (SoCs). The three devices in the BCM 617xx Series help cellular providers deliver better mobile experiences and faster data rates to end users while improving 3G/4G LTE network performance by offloading data traffic from macro base stations into small cell nodes. Visit Broadcom @ Mobile World Congress for more news.
Broadcom's new 3G/4G LTE small cell SoCs are built on Broadcom's engineering expertise in 3G and innovations in 4G LTE technology. The BCM617xx Series devices also combine PCI-Express and driver integration for Broadcom 802.11n and 802.11ac Wi-Fi solutions, enabling multimode access points and adding carrier Wi-Fi to cellular solutions. Together, Broadcom's small cell SoCs allow carriers to optimize their 3G and 4G LTE spectrum efficiency for an overall increase in network capacity and a smooth migration path from 3G to 4G LTE to improve data rates and the quality of services to its subscribers.
All BCM617xx Series devices are compatible with Broadcom's current 3G software interfaces while expanding capabilities to include next generation 4G LTE protocols. The BCM617xx Series devices also deliver industry-leading power efficiency for Power-over-Ethernet (PoE), easing provisioning of power to remote access points and reducing the size of equipment packaging and ultimately the bill of materials. Fully integrated 3G and 4G LTE modems further reduce memory footprint, associated costs and power consumption.
"With the highest levels of integration, Broadcom's dual-mode small cell SoCs reduce the overall small cell bill of materials as well as power consumption," said Greg Fischer, Broadcom's Vice President and General Manager for Broadband Carrier Access. "As mobile operators continue to focus on delivering faster data rates and better quality of service, Broadcom's dual-mode devices support a seamless transition from 3G to 4G LTE for providers and the consistent, high-performance mobile experience end-users crave."
Key Features of the BCM617xx Series
- Concurrent support for 4G LTE 20 MHz channel with full 150Mbs down link and 50Mbps uplink physical layer rate and 128 active users, and 32 active 3G WCDMA users with data rates of 42 Mbps in the downlink and 11 uplink Mbps
- First to support 4G LTE 40MHz channel and 256 active users, or 64 active 3G WCDMA users and data rates of 84 Mbps in the downlink and 22 uplink Mbps
- Supports LTE in both Frequency Division Duplexing (FDD) or Time Division Duplexing (TDD) modes to enable global market applications
- Industry's lowest power modem design reducing bill of materials, form factor and power provisioning and thermal design requirements
- Embedded Advanced Self-Organizing Network (A-SON) technology supported by simultaneous multi-standard sniffing capability to reduce operator costs to upgrade site performance and to enhance overall mobile network capacity
- Expandability with Broadcom 802.11n and 802.11ac Wi-Fi radios and DSL, PON, Ethernet, or microwave backhaul solutions
Broadcom's new small cell SoC series, including the BCM61760 for high capacity metro cells, the BCM61750 for enterprise small cells, and the BCM61730 for residential use, are now sampling.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband