NEW DELHI, April 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Offers Indian operators a cost-effective solution to rapidly transition analog to digital TV programming and services.
- Solves common user problems when migrating from analog to digital TV with unique FastRTV® fast channel change and automatic volume leveling technology.
- Enables emerging markets to rapidly launch cable digitization.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced the BCM7014, the industry's most integrated single chip standard definition MPEG2 cable set-top box (STB) system-on-a-chip (SoC) solution. Broadcom's new platform is designed to accelerate India's cable TV digitization initiative by providing a cost-efficient system capable of rapid, wide-scale deployment. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
Broadcom's technology can quickly transition India's 94 million analog cable TV households to new digital services. With the upcoming government mandate for staged analog shut-off deadlines, India's cable TV market is poised for a broad network upgrade to provide compelling and low cost digital services.
- Ultra Low Cost: integrated DVB-C tuner, demodulator, MPEG2 A/V decoder, regulators controller, A/V outputs and RF Modulator replacing many discrete components with a single integrated SoC for an unprecedented level of integration and cost efficiency.
- Faster Channel Surfing: Broadcom's field proven FastRTV fast channel change technology accelerates channel switches at speeds of up to five times faster than other deployed solutions. This addresses a key pain point for consumers and operators who move to an all-digital TV service.
- Consistent Volume: new Adaptive Volume Leveling support automatically maintains constant volume across commercial, program and channel changes.
- Integrated Third Generation Silicon Tuner: field tested extensively in Indian conditions, Broadcom's BCM7014 meets Indian operator requirements and integration capabilities at lower overall costs.
- Fast Boot-up and Ultra Low Power: integrated power management controller reduces average power consumption up to 65 percent in a typical day and fast resume technology enable quick booting to video in as little as few seconds.
- Small Design: a 2-layer reference design achieves a size of only 4 x 2.5 inches with minimal external components.
- Software: Broadcom's field-proven reference software stack and application available in an ultra small memory footprint accelerates design, qualifications and deployment.
Availability: The Broadcom BCM7014 is now shipping in volumes across the globe. Set-top box designs are now ready for immediate deployment in India.
Quote: Tonse Telecom: "The Indian cable TV market is in for a major overhaul with initial digitization efforts mandated by the government for June 2012, and full digitization efforts scheduled for December 2014 completion. Around 60,000 set-top boxes need to be installed every day to meet the initial deadline. With the Indian government backing the effort and supporting foreign direct investment, we see a significant opportunity for digital set-top box technology in the country."
Dan Marotta, Broadcom Executive Vice President & General Manager: "Broadcom is committed to meeting the demands for India's cable digitization efforts with low cost designs and key user benefits that satisfy the growing market for Indian cable TV. With quick channel change speed and volume leveling technology, Broadcom solves common problems that occur when migrating from analog to digital TV."
About Broadcom Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, the Connecting everything logo and FastRTV® are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband