Broadcom Launches First 5G WiFi Wireless IPTV Set-top Box Platform
Compact Design Delivers Carrier-grade IPTV Video Content and Services Throughout the Home
- Enables carriers to deliver reliable HDTV programming to more devices in the home
- Delivers dramatic, standards-based, 5G WiFi speed and range improvements
- Provides small IPTV STB design for easy installation and placement anywhere in the home - without wires
LAS VEGAS, Jan. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- 2013 CES International -- Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced the industry's first 5G WiFi Connected IPTV Set-top Box (STB) platform. Supporting the latest IEEE 802.11.ac standard, Broadcom's 5G WiFi technology is now available paired with its IP STB system-on-a-chip (SoC) technology, enabling operators to wirelessly deliver high-quality HD content and services to more locations and with more reliability throughout the home. Learn how Broadcom innovation is enabling the Connected Life at home, at work, and on-the-go at Broadcom@CES.
"Broadcom's ability to develop an 802.11ac IPTV platform greatly expands the capability for carriers to bring new TV programming and services to more screens in the home," said Dan Marotta, Broadcom Executive Vice President and General Manager, Broadband Communications Group. "In a tiny box that can be wirelessly installed anywhere, Broadcom's technology leads the way for operators to give subscribers the ability to share content from mobile devices directly on the biggest screen in the home — the TV."
By combining the Broadcom® BCM7241 IPTV STB SoC with the BCM43526 5G WiFi solution, Broadcom enables carriers to provide reliable whole-home, carrier-grade coverage for multi-room DVR, browsing, gaming, over-the-top (OTT) and other services.
- Dramatically improved range and coverage : 5G WiFi delivers high-capacity, advanced error-correction and interoperable beam-forming technology to significantly improve wireless coverage and eliminate dead spots in a subscriber's home, reducing the instances of costly support calls or truck rolls.
- Full WiFi Display Miracast™ support: Coupled with the dramatic power savings that 5G WiFi delivers for mobile devices, Miracast support allows content to seamlessly come alive on the big screen.
- Small footprint: Integrates both the STB and wireless chips in an ultra-small form factor design. Also includes optimized internal antenna design within a compact case that can be mounted horizontally or vertically.
- High performance : The BCM43526 2x2 antenna arrangement supports up to 2x the throughput of existing Wi-Fi solutions. The BCM7241 features 5000DMIPS total processing power, 1080p60 decode and OpenGL 2.0 support to provide a powerful solution for multi-room DVR and enables new services such as browsing, gaming and OTT.
- Easy install : Small form factor and wireless capability allow for simple setup and placement anywhere in the home enabling easy customer install.
The BCM7421+ BCM43526 wireless on motherboard (WOMBO) reference design is available now and can be ordered with the following part number: BCM97241USFF_V20.
For more information on Broadcom 5G WiFi technology visit www.5gwifi.org.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom® , the pulse logo, Connecting everything® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband