Broadcom Launches Gigabit DOCSIS Cable Gateway Family
Delivers Fastest Whole-home Connectivity Solution on the Market
- Features 24x8 DOCSIS channel bonding for breakthrough Internet speeds
- Enables fastest whole-home connected solution when paired with 5G WiFi
- Accelerates time to market with pin compatibility
- Integrates DECT and turnkey software; delivers complete digital voice solution
LAS VEGAS, Jan. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- 2013 International CES -- Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced that its fourth generation DOCSIS 3.0 system-on-a-chip (SoC) solutions have achieved 1Gbps downstream speeds by bonding up to 24x8 DOCSIS channels. Learn how Broadcom innovation is enabling the Connected Life at home, at work, and on-the-go at Broadcom@CES.
Broadcom's new technology achieves triple the downstream bandwidth and double the upstream bandwidth from previous generations. When paired with Broadcom's 5G WiFi devices (based on the IEEE 802.11ac standard), operators achieve gigabit speeds into and around the home, enabling the fastest whole-home solution on the market.
"Broadcom offers the fastest whole-home connectivity solutions on the market," said Jay Kirchoff, Broadcom Vice President of Marketing, Cable Broadband. "By bringing gigabit speeds into the home via DOCSIS and around the home via 5G WiFi, Broadcom gives operators the data rates and wireless range required to transition to an all-IP network and deliver a lightning fast broadband experience for subscribers."
The new BCM3384 DOCSIS®/Euro-DOCSIS™ 3.0 cable gateway SoC combines Broadcom's Full-Band Capture (FBC) digital tuning technology with remote diagnostics, dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi, a custom, dedicated applications processor and integrated DECT 6.0 CAT-iq 2.0. Broadcom's DOCSIS innovations are driving the proliferation of applications and advanced data, voice, and video services throughout the home.
Enabling a simple migration path to 16x4, Broadcom's new BCM33843 is pin compatible and leverages the same software and system design as Broadcom's widely deployed BCM3383 DOCSIS 3.0 cable gateway SoC. This enables operators to leverage existing designs to quickly deploy additional channels and more bandwidth.
Key Technology Advantages:
- Fastest cable gateway speeds: By delivering 24 downstream channels supporting DOCSIS and/or video and eight upstream channels, Broadcom's technology gives operators the data rates and flexibility required for hybrid and IP video solutions. Capitalizing on the convergence of voice, high speed data and IP video, Broadcom's solutions feature a dedicated DOCSIS CPU supporting double the memory of prior generations, a dedicated multi-threaded applications processor with an over 400 percent increase in CPU power, and multiple hardware off-load engines. When paired with 5G WiFi, Broadcom's solution delivers the fastest cable gateway speeds and maximum coverage, eliminating dead spots in a subscriber's home.
- Full-Band Capture digital tuning technology and remote diagnostics: Integrated on-chip technology directly samples and digitizes the entire 1GHz downstream spectrum of a cable plant, providing access to any channel anywhere. Remote diagnostics provides real time, unobtrusive diagnostic and spectrum analysis capabilities, without effecting user service on any of the 24 downstream channels.
- Improved performance: Digital tuning with advanced signal processing techniques that exceed the most challenging performance requirements demanded by operators.
- Bandwidth flexibility: Supports DOCSIS and digital video on any frequency eliminating limitations of "block" tuners. When combined with Broadcom's set-top box SoC with fast acquisition technology, video channels can be pre-tuned and users can enjoy the experience of Broadcom's FastRTV™ fast channel change technology.
- Integrated DECT: Provides low cost DECT 6.0 CAT-iq 2.0 hardware and system solution to provide robust, convenient and interoperable digital voice solution.
- Integrated upstream power amplifier: Delivers extended power output levels for robust connectivity under the noisiest plant conditions.
Broadcom is now sampling the BCM3384 and BCM33843. They are also available on reference platforms of multiple configurations with 1Gbps total capacity in and out of the home. Both SoCs can be combined with a complete suite of Broadcom's 5G WiFi solutions.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom® , the pulse logo, Connecting everything® , the Connecting everything logo, and FastRTV™ are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband