Broadcom Powers High Definition Set-Top Boxes to Topway Cable Subscribers in Shenzhen Addressing the Growing Demand for HD Cable TV Services in China, New Generation of STBs Deliver Interactive and Advanced Services including HD DVR and Video-on-Demand
BEIJING, March 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- CCBN 2010 -- Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced a partnership with Coship, a leading Chinese set-top box (STB) manufacturer, to deliver high definition (HD) set-top boxes to Topway, a leading cable service provider in Shenzhen. Coship selected the highly integrated, multi-format Broadcom® BCM7403 HD set-top box system-on-a-chip (SoC) solution that supports interactive and advanced functionality including HD video-on-demand (VoD) and digital video recorder (DVR) capabilities that enable Topway to offer value-added services to its subscribers.
Broadcom will be demonstrating this industry-leading technology at this week's China Content Broadcasting Network (CCBN) Conference in its booth #3501.
Highlights/ Key Facts:
- Topway is a leading cable operator in providing HD and interactive services, reaching 126,000 interactive household users at the end of 2009; an increase of 143 percent from 2008, according to BDA market research. Coship was the largest manufacturer of HD STBs in 2009, accounting for approximately 21 percent of the market share estimated by BDA.
- Broadcom's field proven HD set-top box technology enables manufacturers to build next generation HD cable, satellite and IPTV set-top boxes that deliver best-in-class video quality, support multi formats, and include a complete software platform for customizable solutions.
- With advanced and interactive functionality, Broadcom's technology enables service providers to offer HD VoD and DVR services for additional revenue streams and an enhanced TV entertainment experience for subscribers.
- The Broadcom BCM7403 HD STB SoC solution is tailored to meet the unique needs of the Chinese market and features the following:
- Integrates HD AVC (H.264, MPEG-4), MPEG-2, DivX®, and VC-1 digital video decoders that enable manufacturers to cost effectively develop extremely high performance STBs that integrate the most advanced hardware features and functionality to securely decode, store and share multiple types of HDTV, VoD, Internet and digital music content.
- Provides advanced DVR capabilities and advanced playback of digital content from non-traditional sources, such as the Web or PC, directly to the television.
- Combines a data transport processor, HD video decoder technology, an advanced audio decoder, 2D graphics processing, high quality video scaling and motion adaptive de-interlacing, six video DACs, stereo high-fidelity, audio DACs, a 450 DMIPS host CPU, advanced security, dual USB 2.0 ports and HDMI 1.3a.
- Has strong local design engineering support from engineering teams located in Beijing, Shenzhen and Shanghai.
- The BCM7403 is currently available in mass production to set-top box manufacturers.
Mr Cao Liqi, Vice Chief Engineer, Topway
"As a leading provider of high definition and interactive services, we look forward to working with Broadcom to offer our subscribers the very best in video quality, interactivity and advanced services that will enable exciting entertainment experiences in the home."
Mr Bright Yuan, CEO, Coship
"We selected Broadcom's HD cable set-top box technology for its interactive and advanced feature set, superior video quality and strong local support, and we are excited to deploy interactive features and cutting-edge technology to Topway subscribers. As one of the largest manufacturers of high definition set-top boxes, we are committed to providing new and innovative services that will significantly improve the TV viewing experience."
Dan Marotta, Executive Vice President & General Manager, Broadcom's Broadband Communications Group
"We are pleased to partner with Coship and Topway to deploy high definition programming and advanced services, enabling an enhanced and interactive TV entertainment experience for Topway cable subscribers in Shenzhen."
Subscribe to RSS Feed: Broadcom Broadband Communications Group http://bit.ly/4BDSLs
Broadcom Corporation is a major technology innovator and global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom products enable the delivery of voice, video, data and multimedia to and throughout the home, the office and the mobile environment. We provide the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and software solutions to manufacturers of computing and networking equipment, digital entertainment and broadband access products, and mobile devices. These solutions support our core mission: Connecting everything®.
Broadcom, one of the world's largest fabless communications semiconductor companies, with 2009 revenue of $4.49 billion, holds more than 3,800 U.S. and 1,550 foreign patents, and has more than 7,800 additional pending patent applications, and one of the broadest intellectual property portfolios addressing both wired and wireless transmission of voice, video, data and multimedia.
A FORTUNE 500® company, Broadcom is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and has offices and research facilities in North America, Asia and Europe. Broadcom may be contacted at +1.949.926.5000 or at www.broadcom.com.
Cautions regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "should," "would," "could," "potential," "continue," "ongoing," similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, the demand for high definition TV programming in Shenzhen, our position in that market, and the continued collaboration among Broadcom, Coship and Topway. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for Broadcom in connection with the BCM7403 HD STB SoC solution include, but are not limited to:
- competitive pressures and other factors such as the qualification, availability and pricing of competing products and technologies and the resulting effects on sales and pricing of our products;
- the timing of customer-industry qualification and certification of our products and the risks of non-qualification or non-certification;
- the rate at which our present and future customers and end-users adopt Broadcom's technologies and products in the markets for next generation PC, cable, satellite, IPTV and terrestrial set-top box applications;
- the volume of our product sales and pricing concessions on volume sales; and
- the gain or loss of a key customer, design win or order.
Additional factors that may cause Broadcom's actual results to differ materially from those expressed in forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to the list that can be found at http://www.broadcom.com/press/additional_risk_factors/Q12010.php.
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings discuss the foregoing risks as well as other important risk factors that could contribute to such differences or otherwise affect our business, results of operations and financial condition. The forward-looking statements in this release speak only as of this date. We undertake no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statement, except as required by law.
Broadcom, the pulse logo, Connecting everything, and the Connecting everything logo and are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. DivX® is a trademark of DivX, Inc. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Contacts Trade Press Investor Relations Dana Brzozkiewicz T. Peter Andrew Senior Public Relations Vice President, Corporate Representative Communications 949-926-6367 949-926-5663 firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband