IRVINE, Calif., Dec. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced that HTC, one of the world's leading smartphone providers, has chosen Broadcom's quad-core baseband and connectivity platform for the new HTC Desire 6160 Android smartphone. Powered by Broadcom's HSPA+ 1.2-GHz quad-core processor, RF Transceiver, power management IC, connectivity combo chip and multi-constellation GNSS location chip, HTC's Android smartphone delivers a number of advanced features and capabilities to China's fast-growing low-cost Android market. The HTC Desire 6160 smartphone is optimized for China Unicom's growing HSPA+ network. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
China is the world's largest smartphone consumer, with sales reaching roughly 85M units in the third quarter of 2013, with Android-based phones representing 72 percent of total shipments1. For HTC, one of the world's leading Android smartphone suppliers, China's low-cost Android smartphone market represents a prime opportunity. Thanks to Broadcom innovation, the new HTC Desire 6160 smartphone delivers premium features consumers demand at an affordable price point.
"Driving a premium experience at an affordable price is the key to tapping into China's explosive demand for smartphones. Broadcom's Quad-Core platform provides the foundation we need to meet this demand and gain share in the world's largest smartphone market," said David Chen, HTC Chief Engineering Officer. "With premium features such as HSPA+, high-end multimedia, GPS and GNSS capabilities and integrated Wi-Fi, consumers can enjoy the rich entertainment and multimedia experience normally associated with high-end smartphones."
"HTC and Broadcom have partnered successfully over the years to bring leading edge wireless connectivity features to customers," said Robert Rango, Broadcom Executive Vice President and General Manager, Mobile and Wireless Group. "The launch of the HTC Desire 6160 smartphone is especially exciting as we expand our relationship to Broadcom's complete cellular platform."
Key Features of the HTC Desire 6160 Android Smartphone
- 4.5 inch display with HD resolution
- Quad-core A7 processor with 1.2GHz
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- GPS and GNSS
- 1GB DDR2 memory and 16GB Flash
- 5MP-AF camera (main) and VGA (front)
- 1080p/30fps video, video record and playback
- Dual SIM and Dual Standby (DSDS)
- Android Jelly Bean OS with HTC Sense 5.0
Key Features of the Broadcom Smartphone Platform
- BCM23550 HSPA+ 1.2-GHz quad-core processor
- Provides superior computing power at an affordable price point
- VideoCore® multimedia support for an immersive multimedia experience
- Low power Dual SIM / Dual Standby to enable simultaneous monitoring of 2 separate networks
- RF Transceiver
- Highly integrated RF cellular transceiver for multi-mode (EDGE/GPRS/GSM® and WCDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA) and multi-band (850/900/1800/1900/2100 MHz) applications
- Power Management IC
- Two fully integrated, programmable, step-down switching regulators with overcurrent and overvoltage protection
- Six high-performance programmable Low Dropout (LDO) regulators with overcurrent protection
- Connectivity Combo Chip
- Dual-band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi connectivity
- Single-stream IEEE 802.11n support for 20 MHz and 40 MHz channels provides PHY layer rates up to 150 Mbps for typical upper-layer throughput in excess of 90 Mbps
- Multi-constellation GNSS Location Chip
- Multi-constellation capability collects data from four satellite constellations
- Faster signal searches and more accurate real-time navigation
The HTC Desire 6160 smartphone is now available to China consumers.
1 Gartner/The Guardian, November 2013
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, the Connecting everything logo and VideoCore® are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. HTC and HTC Desire are trademarks of the HTC Corporation. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Mobile & Wireless