Broadcom Supports Bluetooth® Version 4.0 Across Its Leading Bluetooth Portfolio Broad Availability of the New Standard will Drive the Adoption of Bluetooth Low Energy Technology for New Applications in Health Care, Fitness, Security and Home Entertainment
IRVINE, Calif., July 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced that it has gained certification and added support for the recently adopted Bluetooth® Version 4.0 specification across its core BTE Bluetooth stack and industry leading Bluetooth system-on-a-chip (SoC) solutions. Broadcom's full qualification makes it one of the first to achieve Bluetooth v4.0 controller and host stack certification, solidifying its continued leadership in Bluetooth technology and dedication to the growth of this technology as it evolves beyond what are perceived to be the traditional Bluetooth use cases of today.
- The Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) recently announced the formal adoption of Bluetooth Core Specification Version 4.0, with the hallmark feature low energy technology. This final step in the specification development process signals to Bluetooth SIG members that the Bluetooth SIG Qualification Program is now open for qualification of all Bluetooth product types to the Version 4.0 Specification.
- Bluetooth low energy technology opens up new segments for this wireless technology including fitness, sports, medical devices, security, and home entertainment based on Bluetooth products and sensors that are powered from a single small coin-cell battery.
- Key features of the Bluetooth low energy specification in the new Bluetooth v4.0 standard include:
- Ultra-low peak, average and idle mode power consumption
- Ability to run for years on standard coin-cell batteries
- Low cost
- Multi-vendor interoperability
- Enhanced range
- As a leading supplier of both Bluetooth technology, and a leader in combination ('combo') chip products that combine multiple radios in a single chip design, Broadcom is in a unique position to drive Bluetooth v4.0 technology, further expanding the utility of Bluetooth low power devices.
- With the latest qualifications, Broadcom enables full-featured Bluetooth devices which include the latest low energy technology in addition to Bluetooth High Speed, Classic Bluetooth and Enhanced Data Rate Bluetooth technology.
Craig Ochikubo, Vice President & General Manager, Broadcom's Wireless Personal Area Networking line of business
"Since the very beginning, Broadcom has been a strong supporter of the new Bluetooth v4.0 standard. Bluetooth v4.0 will enable new applications in health and fitness, remote control and security. We also anticipate new and innovative uses in PC's, mobile handsets and consumer electronic devices. With the introduction of Bluetooth low energy technology, Bluetooth technology is now expanding into new classes of devices."
Subscribe to RSS Feed:
Other Supporting Resources:
Broadcom Corporation is a major technology innovator and global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom products enable the delivery of voice, video, data and multimedia to and throughout the home, the office and the mobile environment. We provide the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and software solutions to manufacturers of computing and networking equipment, digital entertainment and broadband access products, and mobile devices. These solutions support our core mission: Connecting everything®.
Broadcom, one of the world's largest fabless communications semiconductor companies, with 2009 revenue of $4.49 billion, holds more than 4,050 U.S. and 1,650 foreign patents, and has more than 7,900 additional pending patent applications, and one of the broadest intellectual property portfolios addressing both wired and wireless transmission of voice, video, data and multimedia.
A FORTUNE 500® company, Broadcom is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and has offices and research facilities in North America, Asia and Europe. Broadcom may be contacted at +1.949.926.5000 or at www.broadcom.com.
Cautions regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "should," "would," "could," "potential," "continue," "ongoing," similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, references to new applications that Bluetooth v4.0 will enable and new uses for Bluetooth in PCs, mobile devices and consumer electronic devices. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for Broadcom in connection with adding Bluetooth v4.0 to chip and software solutions, include but are not limited to:
- the rate at which our present and future customers and end-users adopt Broadcom's Bluetooth enabled solutions for mobile applications;
- trends in the wireless networking markets in various geographic regions, including seasonality in sales of consumer products into which our products are incorporated;
- the gain or loss of a key customer, design win or order;
- the volume of our product sales and pricing concessions on volume sales;
- our ability to timely and accurately predict market requirements and evolving industry standards and to identify opportunities in new markets; and
- competitive pressures and other factors such as the qualification, availability and pricing of competing products and technologies and the resulting effects on sales and pricing of our products.
Additional factors that may cause Broadcom's actual results to differ materially from those expressed in forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to the list that can be found at http://www.broadcom.com/press/additional_risk_factors/Q22010.php.
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings discuss the foregoing risks as well as other important risk factors that could contribute to such differences or otherwise affect our business, results of operations and financial condition. The forward-looking statements in this release speak only as of this date. We undertake no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statement, except as required by law.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Mobile & Wireless