IRVINE, Calif., Aug. 27, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Market for connected wearable components is expected to reach more than $1.5 billion by 20141
- WICED Direct enables OEMs to design accessories, clothing and other wearable sensors that connect and transfer data to smart mobile devices and the cloud
- Innovations open doors for new products such as jewelry with proximity detection, helmets with action cameras and bracelets that lock/unlock doors
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today expanded its Wireless Internet Connectivity for Embedded Devices (WICED™) portfolio with the introduction of WICED Direct. WICED is a platform that simplifies the implementation of Internet connectivity into an array of consumer devices. By integrating Wi-Fi Direct™ into the WICED platform, Broadcom is enabling OEMs to rapidly develop wearable products that communicate seamlessly to the cloud via smart mobile devices. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
Experts predict nearly 15 million wearable smart devices will be sold this year, and nearly 70 million by 20172. As designs get smaller, lighter and more power efficient, the connection of a wearable device to powerful smartphones or tablets that can process and send data to the cloud is critical. For this reason, smart mobile devices have become the hub for interconnecting everything.
"The value of a wearable device lies in its ability to connect to a smartphone or the Internet with minimal impact on battery life," said Rahul Patel, Broadcom Vice President, Marketing, Wireless Connectivity Combos. "As the market gains momentum, Broadcom is actively widening business opportunities in this growing space by offering the breadth of IP and customized components that enable creative new smart wearable devices to be connected."
Broadcom's WICED portfolio provides the foundation for embedding low power, high performance, interoperable wireless connectivity into these devices. Emerging segment leaders are currently designing health and wellness devices based on Broadcom WICED technology, including blood pressure monitors, glucometers, smart watches, fitness bracelets and more. By supporting Wi-Fi Direct, a specification that allows two devices to communicate with each other securely via Wi-Fi without an access point or computer, Broadcom is opening the doors to the development of new, innovative smart accessories, clothing and other wearable sensors.
As wearable technology becomes more prominent, wireless connectivity technologies that enable these devices to connect to smartphones are key to unlocking their true potential. Specifically:
- Near Field Communication (NFC) enables a consumer to buy a new wearable device and simply tap it to their smartphone so the devices can start to communicate instantly and securely. No more complicated menus or arduous setup processes.
- Bluetooth Smart and Wi-Fi allow the consumer to collect data from their wearable device (i.e. calories burned, heart rate, etc.) and transfer it to their smartphone or into the cloud without draining the battery.
- Wi-Fi Direct allows a consumer to directly connect two Wi-Fi devices together without the need for an access point or computer.
- A wearable device combined with location technology allows for interesting new use cases such as doctors tracking patients in clinical environments or retailers sending targeted advertising to consumers.
"OEMs creating wearable products require interoperable technology that will allow these new devices to connect with smartphones and tablets available today," said Joshua Flood, Senior Analyst, ABI Research. "Since Broadcom powers the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in the majority of smartphones on the market today, the company's wireless SoCs are an ideal choice for OEMs developing consumer products that are designed to seamlessly communicate with other mobile devices on the market."
1&2Juniper Research, Wearables: The Next 'Smart' Thing, January 2013
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, the Connecting everything logo and WICED™ are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Mobile & Wireless