California Breweries Added as New Category for Prestigious 2013 California Travel Association Awards
BURBANK, Calif., Dec. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Individuals and organizations who make significant contributions to advance California's travel industry, will be honored at the 31st Annual California Travel Summit, March 18-20, 2013, at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina.
Seven outstanding individuals/entities will be presented the 2013 California Travel Association (CTA) Awards:
- F. Norman Clark Tourism Champion of the Year: A tribute to CalTravel founder F. Norman Clark, recognizing tourism excellence in a specific year or a body of work. Recipient: Werner Escher South Coast Plaza
- Tourism Stewardship of the Year: Recognizing an individual or organization that has done the most to protect, preserve, restore, improve, expand, or otherwise enhance California's natural, cultural, or historical treasures. Recipient: Audrey Rust Peninsula Open Space Trust
- Restaurateur/Chef of the Year: Recognizing an individual chef or restaurant that has created a dining establishment and experience that effectively marries the culinary arts with the tourism industry. Recipient: Tanya Holland, Brown Sugar Kitchen and B Side BBQ
- Winery of the Year: Recognizing both the winemaker's excellent product as well as the winery's contribution to developing the California tourism brand. Recipient: Buena Vista Winery, Sonoma
- NEW 2013- Brewery of the Year: Recognizing both the brewmaster's product excellence as well as the brewery's contribution to developing the California tourism brand. Recipient: Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
- Excellence in Tourism Advocacy: Awarded to an elected state individual who has fostered and advanced the concerns of travel, tourism and/or hospitality. Recipient: John A. Perez, Speaker of the Assembly
- California Travel Industry Award for the Promotion and Advancement of Tourism: Awarded to an individual who has impacted California tourism through their efforts and dedication on a national basis. Recipient: Katie Tamony, former Editor, Sunset Magazine; current Director of Marketing, SF MOMA
Noted as California's premier travel, tourism, and hospitality gathering this conference offers an expanded, industry specific education track that is sure to inspire attendees. All are welcome to attend, network and learn while enjoying and exploring beautiful San Diego. Register by January 15, 2013 and receive:
- Early Bird CalTravel Member Rate $495
- Special Tourism Professional Rate $650
- San Diego ConVIS Member Rate $495
- Attendees "30 & under" save additional 30%
- Additional Attendee and past CTS attendee discounts of up to 40%
- Low $153 hotel rates
Registrants also receive two (2) free passes to SeaWorld San Diego, LEGOLAND California Resort or World-Famous San Diego Zoo & San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
"Celebrations at this year's summit will include a new award category recognizing the efforts of the state's breweries and their accomplishments in 'blending' great California product while advancing tourism for the state," said Brian Baker, CalTravel Chairman of the Board and VP Sales/Marketing for Chateau Montelena. "It is past due and time for this award given that California was in the forefront of the creation of America's Artisan Beer movement in the early 80's."
"Overall, our deserving winners have had an incredibly positive impact on California tourism over the years and we are proud to honor them at a special Gala Awards Dinner on March 19 to be held at SeaWorld San Diego," Baker said.
CalTravel will again present the "Emerging Leaders Award" to 30 individuals, 30 years of age and younger. These "rising stars" have been nominated by tourism businesses throughout California for their individual efforts, contributions and "spirit" as California's exciting "future tourism industry leaders." "The California Travel Summit awards and Gala is always a highlight of the conference," said CalTravel President & CEO John Severini.
For online registration and full information about the summit and the awards gala, visit www.caltravel.org.
CalTravel is the unified voice for the California travel industry's political concerns. By advocating directly to the state legislature, the Governor's office, local and federal officials, businesses, and the public, CalTravel addresses issues that affect the state's tourism industry. CalTravel also aggressively seeks to ensure continued funding for Visit California.
SOURCE California Travel Association