WOBURN, Mass., March 22, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Medicinal Genomics (MGC) and Courtagen Life Sciences today announced a CannMed 2017 thought-leadership panel featuring former NFL players and leading physicians addressing cannabis use in professional sports. Former NFL players Ricky Williams, Nate Jackson, Eben Britton, and Lance Johnstone will be joined by Dr. David Nathan and Dr. Perry Solomon to discuss medical marijuana as a viable alternative to often addictive opiates. This second annual Personalized Cannabinoid Medicine Conference will be held at The Joseph B. Martin Conference Center at The Harvard School of Medicine April 9-11, 2017.
According to an ESPN poll released in November 2016, 61% of NFL players believed painkiller use would decrease if the league allowed medical cannabis as an alternative. For recovery and pain control, more players preferred cannabis over painkillers. At a time when 33,000 Americans per year are dying from opioid overdoses, and with NFL players four times more likely than the general population to develop painkiller addictions, the players' feedback should come as no surprise.
With cannabis in the spotlight as both current and former athletes fight for the right to access and use their medicine legally, this panel will take an introspective look at all sides of the matter. The discussion will incorporate cannabis use as it relates to sports from a training, focus, and recovery aspect. Speakers will also explore the use of CBD in terms of helping athletes protect themselves from CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy), chronic inflammation, and other debilitating consequences from long-term participation in contact sports.
The "Cannabis as Medicine in Professional Sports" panel will take place on Tuesday, April 11th at 1:50pm featuring:
- Ricky Williams, former All-Pro NFL running back, played twelve seasons with the New Orleans Saints, Miami Dolphins, and Baltimore Ravens. Williams is an accomplished yoga instructor and in 2016, was featured in a Sports Illustrated film.
- Nate Jackson, author and former NFL wide receiver, played six seasons with the Denver Broncos. During his NFL career Jackson used marijuana as a preferred alternative to opioid painkillers which he sought to avoid as much as possible. His memoir, Slow Getting Up: A Story of NFL Survival from the Bottom of the Pile, was published in 2013.
- Eben Britton, former NFL guard and tackle, played for the Jacksonville Jaguars and Chicago Bears. Britton is a dedicated activist for reforming societal views on cannabis and is a member of the Doctors for Cannabis Regulation NFL Steering Committee, (DFCR), as are Ricky Williams and Lance Johnstone. DFCR is a non-profit organization dedicated to advocacy for the legalization, taxation and - above all - the effective regulation of marijuana in the United States.
- Lance Johnstone, former NFL defensive end, played for the Oakland Raiders and the Minnesota Vikings. Johnstone is an active cannabis advocate and spokesperson for DFCR, and has been featured in Forbes speaking to player health and safety.
- Dr. David Nathan, psychiatrist who treats addictions, and founder of the national organization, Doctors for Cannabis Regulation, which recently launched a campaign calling for NFL policy change on behalf of the medical and scientific community.
- Dr. Perry Solomon, Chief Medical Officer for HelloMD who brings a clinical background that both substantiates the players' experience and provides a framework on which clinicians can base treatments for their patients.
Editors: Passes are available for accredited media upon request.
About Medicinal Genomics Corporation
Medicinal Genomics Corporation applies state-of-the-art life science technology to cannabis plant genetics, and was the first company to sequence the cannabis genome. Our products, based on Next Generation DNA Sequencing technology, help growers, dispensaries, and safety testing laboratories characterize and understand the quality of medicinal cannabis. Medicinal Genomics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Courtagen Life Sciences, Inc. For more information, please visit http://www.medicinalgenomics.com/
About Courtagen Life Sciences, Inc.
Courtagen Life Sciences, Inc. is a CAP/CLIA certified molecular information company focused on the diagnosis of a range of neurological, endocrine, and functional disorders associated with the central, peripheral, and autonomic nervous systems, including the endocannabinoid receptor system. Courtagen operates a sophisticated Next Generation DNA Sequencing, bioinformatics, and clinical interpretation business that helps physicians reveal the genotype to phenotype relationships of various diseases, which may be treated with a range of therapies, including pharmaceuticals and medical cannabis. For more information, please visit http://www.courtagen.com/
Jennifer Price, 609-638-2558
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cannmed-2017-conference-to-feature-former-nfl-players-leading-panel-discussion-on-medical-marijuana-use-in-professional-sports-300427674.html
SOURCE Medicinal Genomics and Courtagen Life Sciences