Carbon Monoxide Deaths from Generators after Hurricane Sandy

SAN DIEGO, Jan. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Carbon monoxide (CO) is called the 'Silent Killer' - it's odorless, colorless and tasteless, and is the #1 cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America. Carbon monoxide poisoning during power outages caused by Hurricane Sandy is being blamed for 12 deaths across New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsylvania. In one accident that claimed the life of a 59 year old Trenton, NJ woman, the generator was left running overnight in the basement and seven other family members were hospitalized with serious injuries. 

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission there were approximately 600 deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning between 1999 and 2010. "If you do not wake up, having an alarm in the hall can save you money but not your life. It is precisely this reason you need a CO alarm in every bedroom," said Dr. Mark K. Goldstein, a leading carbon monoxide expert. According to a study by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, the most reliable carbon monoxide detector is made by Quantum Group Inc. The Quantum CO sensors are made in America. Dr. Goldstein recommends The Quantum COSTAR® Model 9RV as an excellent option for your home or RV.  Another product he recommends is the Quantum Guardian® Model QG100.

Both are available from Quantum Group, and can be purchased online at www.QGinc.com or www.QuantumGuardian.com, or by calling 800 432 5599. The products are made in the U.S.A. and the cost ranges from $24 to $36 per unit. 

Carbon monoxide attacks the brain and many people never fully recover from their injuries sustained by exposure. CO poisoning often leads to delayed brain damage (delayed neurological sequelae), and even though this phenomena is not well explained, it is seen over and over again in these types of CO poisoning cases. "It is a big problem," said Bill Kramer, New Jersey's acting Fire Marshal (reference Jon Offredo, The Times of Trenton, Nov.17, 2012 and the New York Times Published Nov. 17, 2012).

In addition to the 12 deaths in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, many more people were seriously injured by carbon monoxide. In Newark, two women died from carbon monoxide poisoning due to a generator being positioned too close to their apartment window. The Center for Disease and Control (CDC) states you should never use a portable generator closer than 20 feet from the home.

Contact: Phil Wright
Quantum Group Inc.
Pwright@QGinc.com 
760-427-1397

SOURCE Quantum Group Inc.



RELATED LINKS
http://QGinc.com

Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

 

PR Newswire Membership

Fill out a PR Newswire membership form or contact us at (888) 776-0942.

Learn about PR Newswire services

Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.