Carbonite Goes Beyond Backup with Easy-to-Use Cloud Syncing Application for the Busy Professional Carbonite Currents Delivers Seamless Syncing to Keep Your Files at Your Fingertips Across All Your Devices
BOSTON, Jan. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Carbonite, Inc. (NASDAQ: CARB), a leading provider of cloud backup solutions for consumers and small to medium sized businesses, today unveiled its first non-backup offering – Carbonite Currents. Currents is an easy-to-use file syncing, sharing and collaboration application that builds on the company's proven track record of delivering simple cloud services that solve common technology problems.
"We are in the midst of profound changes in the creation and consumption of data, connected devices and how people use them," said Swami Kumaresan, EVP of New Ventures at Carbonite. "Today, people work on computers, smartphones and tablets and need seamless access to their work on the go, but this leaves files scattered across the cloud and multiple devices. Currents simplifies syncing by ensuring the files you need are at your fingertips, regardless of which device you are working on."
Currents Makes Working on Multiple Devices Easier
With Currents, you no longer need to think ahead about which files you may need at a moment's notice. Now, you can simply save your work as you normally do and then access what you need with Currents whenever and wherever you need to, while all your documents remain secure and encrypted. Currents eliminates the need for special synced folders, carrying files around on thumb drives and even the clumsy but common practice of emailing documents to yourself or a group.
Here's how Currents works:
- Currents acts as a recently used files list that works across all of your devices, making whatever has been opened or saved in the last 30 days accessible through the app;
- Files can be shared easily from any computer, smartphone or tablet;
- Share settings allow users to control who can view, edit or collaborate on files and in-app commenting simplifies collaboration;
- When files are modified on any device, they are automatically updated in their original locations and synced to every device;
- File versioning features ensure users can revert back to earlier drafts, if needed.
"As more home offices and small businesses adopt cloud technology on multiple devices, there will be a natural increase in digital clutter. There is a clear and growing need for cloud apps to simplify how people access and work with their data," said Ray Boggs, VP of SMB research at IDC. "Those solutions that increase mobile workforce productivity and integrate effectively with today's on-the-go work style will have a strong market opportunity."
How the Busy Professional Will Use Currents
- You work on a document at your office, save it and head to dinner. When you get home and hop on your personal computer, the document is waiting for you in your Currents list. Click on it and pick up right where you left off. When you save it, the app will update the original document onto both your work and home computers.
- You are on a train with your iPad or Android tablet, and you need to update a document. Using an editing app, you can edit the document, save it, and then with Currents, the updated version will be synced across all of your devices and with anyone you've shared it with.
- You're working on a report with a coworker, and you'd like them to review a specific section. Simply share the document with them in Currents, and include a comment through the app. They can reply to your comment right in Currents, and you will be able to see when they make changes to the document.
- You are checking your work email on your mobile device and get an attachment you need to work on. You can send the attachment to Currents right from your phone, and the document will be in your Currents list when you get to your personal or work computer, regardless of whether you can access your work network.
More to Come from Carbonite
Carbonite recently launched Carbonite Labs, a test bed for innovative cloud concepts that address common but complex technology challenges. Carbonite Labs will allow people to try beta solutions while they are being fine-tuned based on user feedback. Currents is the first solution to be delivered from Carbonite Labs.
"Carbonite is well-positioned to deliver new cloud solutions that simplify our increasingly complicated digital lives. Currents is the first step in that direction and we look forward to getting user feedback as we continue to develop new features," said Kumaresan.
Upcoming Labs projects will seek to further reduce the challenges people experience when collaborating with small workgroups on projects that include multiple files.
Currents Pricing and Availability
Carbonite Currents is available now in public beta for free at Labs.Carbonite.com. The mobile app is currently available for Android devices via the Google Play Store and will be available soon for iOS through the App store.
Carbonite, Inc. (NASDAQ: CARB) is a leading provider of online backup solutions for consumers and small and medium sized businesses. Subscribers in more than 100 countries rely on Carbonite to provide easy-to-use, affordable and secure online backup solutions with anytime, anywhere data access. Carbonite's online backup solution runs on both the Windows and Mac platforms. The company has backed up nearly 200 billion files, restored more than 7 billion files and currently backs up more than 300 million files each day. For more information, please visit www.carbonite.com, twitter.com/carbonite, twitter.com/carbonitebiz, or facebook.com/CarboniteOnlineBackup.
SOURCE Carbonite, Inc.