Carbonite to Enter Into Business Associate Agreements with HIPAA-Compliant Businesses Ahead of Federal Deadline Carbonite will hold free webinars for resellers and small businesses on HIPAA-compliant data protection
BOSTON, Sept. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Carbonite, Inc. (NASDAQ: CARB), a leading provider of cloud solutions that keep small businesses and home offices running smoothly, today announced that it will enter into Business Associate Agreements with HIPAA-compliant businesses, providing the healthcare industry with secure access to cloud backup services. Carbonite it is one of the first cloud backup vendors to announce its compliance with the new federal HIPAA regulations, which become effective on September 23, 2013.
Changes in Federal HIPAA Regulations
Companies that create, receive, maintain or transmit protected health information on behalf of a covered entity are now considered business associates under the new federal regulations. Carbonite supports the compliance requirements of covered entities by implementing administrative, physical and technical safeguards to protect the backed up data of its Business and BusinessPremier customers.
New HIPAA Features for Carbonite Business Customers
- Business Associate Agreement: Carbonite's Business Associate Agreement (BAA) is based on the federal government's standard, so customers can rest easy knowing their backed up data is secure and meets Business Associate compliance requirements. To request a copy of Carbonite's BAA, please call 1-855-CARB-BIZ or send an email to BusinessSales@carbonite.com.
- Administrative, Physical and Technical Safeguards: The HIPAA Security Rule establishes national standards to protect individuals' electronic personal health information that is created, received, used or maintained by a covered entity. Carbonite has implemented the appropriate administrative, physical and technical safeguards to ensure the confidentiality, integrity and security of its HIPAA-compliant customers' electronic protected health information.
- Remote File Access: All Carbonite Business users can experience the convenience of having their files at their fingertips with Carbonite's Anytime, Anywhere Access, provided the user is not managing their own encryption key. Anytime, Anywhere Access allows people to access their backed up files from nearly any internet-connected device, either by signing into Carbonite.com on any computer or using the free Carbonite Mobile app for iOS, Android and BlackBerry devices. Files can be downloaded, saved and emailed, so employees can access their own backed up files – whether they're at home, in the office or on the road.
Carbonite Business Offers Affordable Backup Options for Every Office
Carbonite's flexible and scalable solutions can protect businesses of all sizes, from a two-dentist practice to a medical office with 100 employees or more. Carbonite Business automatically backs up an unlimited number of computers for an annual flat fee of $229.99 with 250GB of storage included, while Carbonite BusinessPremier backs up an unlimited number of computers and servers with 500GB of storage included for $599.99 per year. As businesses (and data) grow, it's easy to add additional storage packs, new users and devices to their Carbonite accounts.
Carbonite has scheduled webinars to educate resellers and small businesses on data protection under the new federal HIPAA regulations:
- Carbonite Resellers & HIPAA: Thursday, September 26, 2013. 12 – 1pm ET.
Description: In this webinar, you'll learn about how Carbonite Business can help you protect your healthcare industry clients' data, while helping them with their HIPAA compliance. We'll discuss the recent changes to the HIPAA standards, how it affects you and your clients, and how Carbonite can help. To register, visit http://cbnt.it/174E2eU.
- Carbonite for Healthcare Small Businesses: Tuesday, October 1, 2013. 12 – 1pm ET.
Description: In this webinar, you'll learn about how you can use Carbonite Business to protect the data in your healthcare organization, to ensure ongoing HIPAA compliance. We'll discuss the recent changes to the HIPAA standards, how it affects you and how Carbonite can help. To register, visit http://cbnt.it/1a5TjnX.
Looking for more information? Contact the Carbonite Business team at 1-855-CARB-BIZ or send an email to BusinessTeam@carbonite.com.
Carbonite (NASDAQ: CARB) keeps small businesses and home offices running smoothly. Carbonite offers a comprehensive suite of affordable services for data protection, recovery and anywhere, anytime access. More than 1.5 million customers, including 50,000 small businesses, trust Carbonite's secure, easy-to-use cloud backup solutions and award-winning U.S.-based customer support. For more information, please visit Carbonite.com, connect with us on Twitter @carbonite and @carbonitebiz, or visit our Facebook page.
SOURCE Carbonite, Inc.