WASHINGTON, Dec. 18, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The U.S. Census Bureau today released statistics from three 2014 Annual Survey of Manufactures files: General Statistics for Industry Groups and Industries, Value of Products Shipments and Geographic Area Statistics.
The files show that the U.S. manufacturing sector's $5.9 trillion in shipments in 2014 were up 1.2 percent, from $5.8 trillion in 2013. Shipments for Kansas climbed 7.1 percent, from $89.2 billion in 2013 to $95.5 billion in 2014.
State highlights include:
- Among states and equivalents, manufacturing shipments in 2014 ranged from $0.3 billion in the District of Columbia to $698.7 billion in Texas.
- Some contributors to Kansas' shipments increase were transportation equipment (NAICS 336), leather and allied products (NAICS 316) and fabricated metal products (NAICS 332).
- The rate of increase in manufacturing employment over the 2013-2014 period was 9.9 percent in Alaska (from 11,773 to 12,933 employees) and 6.9 percent in Hawaii (from 10,898 to 11,648 employees).
National highlights include:
- The U.S. manufacturing sector's annual payroll climbed 2.5 percent, from $604.1 billion in 2013 to $618.9 billion in 2014.
- Butter and creamery manufacturers (NAICS 311512) experienced a 47.0 percent increase in shipments, from $2.8 billion in 2013 to $4.1 billion in 2014.
- Motor vehicle body and trailer manufacturing (NAICS 3362) had a 12.8 percent increase in total shipments, from $35.2 billion in 2013 to $39.7 billion in 2014.
- Household appliance manufacturing (NAICS 3352) experienced a 7.8 percent growth in employment (from 43,094 in 2013 to 46,434 employees in 2014) and had a 9.9 percent rise in annual payroll (from $2.0 billion in 2013 to $2.2 billion in 2014).
The General Statistics for Industry Groups and Industries report presents data at the two- through six-digit North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) levels on employment, payroll, cost of materials, operating expenses, value of shipments, value added and inventories.
The Value of Products Shipments report presents statistics for the nation on the shipments value of a wide array of specific products (such as peanut butter, gloves and mittens, and toothpaste). This includes 364 six-digit NAICS product groups and 1,384 seven-digit NAICS product classes.
The survey provides manufacturing statistics that are crucial to accurate estimates of domestic production and productivity and to making sound decisions on economic trade policies. Companies, business analysts and trade associations use these data in planning investments, production and marketing. The data cover 2014, 2013 and 2012.
No news release associated with this product. Tip Sheet only.
The statistics in this report are estimated from sample surveys and are subject to sampling variability as well as nonsampling error including bias and variance from response, nonreporting and undercoverage. For more information about the Annual Survey of Manufactures methodology, see http://www.census.gov/manufacturing/asm/how_the_data_are_collected/index.html.
Public Information Office
301-763-3030 / email@example.com
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/census-bureau-releases-2014-annual-survey-of-manufactures-data-300195387.html
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau