CenterPoint Energy Passes on Lower Natural Gas Prices to Arkansas Customers
Winter bills expected to be about 9% lower on average than last winter depending on customer usage
HOUSTON, Oct. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- Wholesale natural gas prices have decreased nationwide and CenterPoint Energy is passing on these lower prices to Arkansas customers beginning next month.
Through the Gas Supply Rate (GSR), an allowed adjustment to the gas supply charge portion of a customer bill, CenterPoint Energy passes on increases and decreases in the cost of natural gas with no markup. The GSR typically makes up 60-70 percent of a customer bill.
After lowering the GSR, an Arkansas residential customer’s bill using a winter usage of 100 Ccf that was $113.50 last winter will be $103.20 this winter, excluding taxes. This represents a nine percent decrease.
“This is good news for consumers and we are happy to be able to pass this natural gas price decrease on to customers particularly because natural gas usage typically increases in the winter months due to heating needs,” said Walter Bryant , division vice president of Gas Operations in Arkansas. “In most cases, natural gas continues to be the best energy value for home heating, water heating, cooking and clothes drying.”
CenterPoint Energy recommends that customers take advantage of the many low-cost, no-cost things they can do around the home to save energy and money:
- Lower your thermostat to 65 degrees when you’re home and even lower when you’re not. By lowering your thermostat 10 – 15 percent for eight hours a day, you can save up to 10 percent a year on your heating costs. Installing a programmable thermostat can help you automatically control your heat usage.
- Change your air filters monthly. A dirty filter restricts airflow and can increase the operating cost of your furnace by as much as 10 percent. A good reminder is to change the filter each time you receive your natural gas bill.
- Set your water heater temperature at 120 degrees and wrap water heater pipes. Lowering the temperature to 120 degrees from 140 degrees and insulating your pipes can save you up to 10 percent on your water heating costs.
- Seal leaks around doors, windows and other openings such as pipes or ducts, with caulk or weather-stripping. The most common places where air escapes in homes are floors, walls and ceilings, ducts, fireplaces, plumbing penetrations, doors, windows, fans and vents, and electrical outlets.
- On sunny days, open draperies and blinds to let the sun’s warmth in. Close them at night to insulate against the cold air outside.
New energy efficiency programs available
CenterPoint Energy has rolled out new and improved energy efficiency program offerings to help customers save money. The new program for residential customers includes rebates for efficient gas space and water heating equipment.
These are the largest incentives the company has ever offered in Arkansas to make it easier than ever before for customers to make energy-saving improvements.
CenterPoint Energy customers can download free energy saving tips at www.centerpointenergy.com/Arkansasrebates or contact the company at ArkansasEfficiency@CenterPointEnergy.com to request a mailed copy.
CenterPoint Energy, Inc., headquartered in Houston, Texas, is a domestic energy delivery company that includes electric transmission & distribution, natural gas distribution, competitive natural gas sales and services, interstate pipelines, and field services operations. The company serves more than five million metered customers primarily in Arkansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Texas. Assets total over $19 billion. With about 8,800 employees, CenterPoint Energy and its predecessor companies have been in business for more than 135 years. For more information, visit the Web site at www.CenterPointEnergy.com.
For more information contact:
SOURCE CenterPoint Energy, Inc.
More by this Source
CenterPoint Energy Reports First Quarter 2013 Earnings
May 02, 2013, 08:15 ET
CenterPoint Energy, OGE Energy Corp. and ArcLight Capital close on midstream partnership
May 01, 2013, 16:05 ET
CenterPoint Energy declares $0.2075 quarterly dividend
Apr 25, 2013, 17:36 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.