ChatRandom Offers Top Five Tips for Safe Webcam Chat
LOS ANGELES, Aug. 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- It's been more than a year since ChatRandom's launch as a free webcam-based random chat alternative to Chatroulette. Along the way, the site has hosted billions of random encounters between strangers. Now, based on its experience building a fun and secure chat platform, ChatRandom has released its top five tips for safe webcam chat.
"Is random webcam chat with strangers safe?" asked ChatRandom co-founder Allen Fox. "Unfortunately, it's not always the case. The best chat experience requires some forethought and a sense of responsibility. By remembering a few pointers, the online community can make time in chat rooms safer and more enjoyable."
ChatRandom's top tips for safe webcam chat:
- Treat the chat like any other encounter with a stranger. "Limit your actions and words until the relationship deepens," Fox explained. "If you wouldn't feel safe flashing a stranger on the street, refrain from that and similar activity in a chat room."
- Do not disclose contact information until you establish trust. "If you're unsure whether you want a stranger to show up at your doorstep, do not offer your full name, exchange numbers or provide any other identifying information during your webcam chat," said Fox. "Regardless of whether you feel a chat partner is a 'friend,' time will help you determine whether you want to start texting or explore the relationship offline."
- Know the technology. A basic knowledge of the chat program and the features of a chat room will make it simple to terminate a chat and escape an uncomfortable situation. Get to know the site before diving in.
- Consider ground rules. "Chat should be spontaneous and fun," said Fox, "but sometimes it's easier to have fun if both parties know the boundaries. If you feel better laying ground rules, go for it." If the other person won't follow the rules, abort the chat.
- Use only a monitored chat provider with a published terms of service and a strict 18-and-older policy, such as ChatRandom. That way, everyone is bound by an established code of conduct -- and there is less of a chance of accidentally chatting with a minor.
That last point is an important one at ChatRandom. The site never allows anyone under 18 into its chat rooms, and site monitors respond quickly to any illegal activity or minors in the chat rooms. As a result, ChatRandom webcam chat is a safer alternative to free-for-all random chat sites where just about anything goes. With no forms or profiles to complete before entering the ChatRandom chat rooms, the site is also a simpler choice for those looking to connect with new friends or meet that special someone.
"Random chat is a leap of faith," Fox concluded. "You hope that your chat partners are on the same page in regard to behavior and mutual respect. Following our simple tips can go a long way in ensuring that and making webcam chat worry-free."
Founded in early 2011, ChatRandom is the only free webcam-based chat site of its kind. An inspired Chatroulette alternative, ChatRandom delivers a safer, simpler platform for random video chatting with strangers in a multi-dimensional format. Users must be 18+, and the site upholds its user terms of service by employing full-time monitors who swiftly shut down illegal activity or usage by minors. Users video chat worry-free and can focus on meeting new people. ChatRandom is over 200,000 users and 21 billion connections strong -- and counting.