Check 'n Go, A Leader in Installment Loans, Offers Tips For Avoiding Online Identity Theft and Fraud
CINCINNATI, Dec. 31, 2012 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Check 'n Go Online, a leading provider of payday loans, online installment loans, and other convenient financial products, has released five tips to help consumers avoid becoming victims of online identity theft and fraud.
1. Be careful about what you share on social websites. Identity thieves know that public profiles on Facebook, Twitter, and other social sites are a gold mine of personal information. Sharing details like your mobile phone number, address, full birth date, mother's maiden name, high school name, pet names and other information may seem harmless. But those details can often be used by criminals to authenticate a loan application in your name or figure out your bank account passwords.
2. Don't fall for phishing. If you receive an email, SMS text, or pop-up message that asks for your social security number or other personal information, don't respond – even if the message appears to be from your bank or another source you know. Legitimate businesses won't ask you to send account numbers or other personal information via email or SMS text message, but online scammers will. They may pretend to be a bank, retailer, or other business as they "phish" for your personal information. If you receive a suspicious message, don't click on any links or open any attachments. Report phishing emails to the bank or other organization that was impersonated.
3. Do online banking and shopping at home, or at least when you know you're on a secured network. Conducting those activities when you're in a coffee shop or other location using public WIFI wireless access makes your personal data vulnerable to online identity theft.
4. Password protect your mobile smartphone. This can keep thieves from getting to saved passwords or account numbers if your mobile phone is lost or stolen.
5. Beef up your passwords and change them often. If you haven't changed passwords on your accounts lately, it's time to do so. Avoid birthdates, pet names, and other passwords that could be easily figured out with just a little information about you from social websites. Create passwords that are tougher to crack, using a combination of symbols numbers, uppercase, and lowercase letters. For bank accounts and other critical accounts, create a password that's different form the ones you use for Facebook and other run-of-the-mill accounts.
With online identity theft and identity fraud on the rise, Check 'n Go & ChecknGo.com is dedicated to providing these tips and other information to help individuals manage their finances and protect their assets.
ABOUT CHECK 'n GO
Check 'n Go was founded in 1994 and offers a sensible lending alternatives to traditional institutions such as banks and finance companies. Services offered include payday loans, online installment loans, title loans, check cashing, and more. A founding member of Community Financial Services Association (CFSA), Check 'n Go encourages responsible lending practices, laws, and regulations. Check 'n Go continues to retain a positive presence in the communities it serves. Last year the company distributed over 10,000 child photo ID kits for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC).
SOURCE Check ‘n Go
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.