NATICK, Mass., Nov. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- TwinStrata, an innovator in cloud-integrated storage solutions, today announced that ChemPoint.com, the leading e-distributor of fine and specialty chemicals, has reduced its recovery time objective (RTO) from two weeks to just a couple hours with the implementation of TwinStrata's CloudArray Subscription offering.
Previously, ChemPoint had deployed a tape-based offsite disaster recovery strategy. While the procedure was adequate for offsite data protection, a routine analysis of the strategy made it clear that it would not be sufficient to getting the organization back up and running quickly in the event of a disaster.
Following an extensive evaluation of multiple offsite options, the company settled on cloud storage for timely disaster recovery at a reasonable cost. Since ChemPoint runs a virtualized environment, integration with the company's Veeam-based backup strategy was also critical.
TwinStrata's CloudArray solution offered ChemPoint the flexibility they needed to protect all three of their sites quickly and directly. If one of their sites goes down, the company can use one of the other CloudArray appliances to access the data, or if necessary, quickly spin up a new appliance – either virtually at another site or as an in-cloud application, thereby minimizing overall downtime.
In addition, the CloudArray subscription enables ChemPoint to receive unlimited virtual appliances for no extra cost, which was particularly attractive to ChemPoint's multi-site operation. Since each appliance could be launched and configured within 30 minutes, the new disaster recovery strategy could be deployed immediately.
Jerry Bogart, Infrastructure Manager, ChemPoint.com:
- "I looked at other solutions, but they didn't have virtual or in-cloud options, which means that getting our data back if the physical box was destroyed would take almost as long as it does with tape. With CloudArray, we've brought our recovery point objective (RPO) down from one week to one night and our RTO down from two weeks to just a couple of hours."
Nicos Vekiarides, CEO, TwinStrata:
- "For many of our customers, cloud storage is a critical step not in their disaster recovery strategy, but in a disaster avoidance strategy. By taking advantage of CloudArray's ability to quickly and easily spin up a new virtual appliance on-site, off-site or in the cloud – or to use an existing physical or virtual appliance at another site – gives them the peace of mind they need to feel confident about reacting quickly and positively in the event of a disaster."
- Watch Jerry Bogart discuss ChemPoint's cloud storage strategy: http://bit.ly/chempoint-video
- Read a case study about how ChemPoint is using cloud storage: http://bit.ly/ChemPoint-CS
- To try TwinStrata CloudArray for free, visit www.twinstrata.com/free-trial
- Follow TwinStrata at http://twitter.com/TwinStrata and http://facebook.com/TwinStrata
As the leading "e-distributor" of specialty and fine chemicals in Europe and North America, ChemPoint.com engages in exclusive product line relationships with premier manufacturers. From its European and North American interaction centers, ChemPoint (www.chempoint.com) provides its suppliers with marketing, sales, customer service and order fulfillment solutions for their targeted customer segments. ChemPoint is a Univar company. With a network of more than 260 distribution facilities globally, Univar (www.univar.com) is a world leader in chemical distribution.
About TwinStrata, Inc.
TwinStrata delivers cloud-integrated storage solutions that seamlessly combine the flexibility of cloud-based technologies with the robustness of traditional storage. As a result, customers benefit from significant reductions in IT costs, time and administrative requirements. Customers of all sizes use TwinStrata to capitalize on the cloud's scalability and economy advantages without sacrificing the security, performance and peace of mind of local storage. More information is available at twinstrata.com.
Mark Smith, JPR Communications
818-884-8282, ext. 22
SOURCE TwinStrata, Inc.