DETROIT, July 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- To celebrate the 2012 MLB All-Star Game, Chevrolet, the Official Vehicle of Major League Baseball®, is bringing its own all-star lineup of cars, trucks and crossovers to Kansas City for activities that begin Friday and lead up to the 83rd Midsummer Classic on Tuesday.
"We're looking forward to introducing our family of Chevrolet vehicles to current and new customers in Kansas City, and celebrating our shared love of baseball," said Phil Caruso, Chevrolet national promotions manager. "We will have product displays, ride and drives and other activities around Kansas City to enhance the fan and customer experience."
Chevrolet has been the Official Vehicle of Major League Baseball since 2005. In addition to bragging rights for either the American League or National League, the MLB All-Star Game determines home-field advantage for the World Series.
Chevrolet's involvement in the 2012 MLB All-Star Week events include:
- Free ride-and-drives of Chevrolet's hottest cars, trucks and crossovers at MLB All-Star FanFest, Friday through Tuesday outside of the Kansas City Convention Center. Seven other Chevrolet vehicles will be on display inside. Chevrolet will also provide a photo opportunity for fans to create their own baseball card, a bench-building area that will provide benches to local Kansas City area youth baseball teams, and a gaming area to play the Chevy Baseball App. With each hit on the Chevy Baseball App, Chevrolet will donate a dollar to youth baseball.
- Invited guests will test their ability to drive a manual transmission-equipped car (on a closed course, of course) at the Chevrolet Sonic Stay Clutch event, 8 a.m. Monday at Kauffman Stadium (not open to the public, media only).
- Fans can drive Camaros, all-new Malibu sedans and a Corvette on a closed-course Test Track at Kauffman Stadium Sunday through Tuesday.
- Vehicle display at Kauffman Stadium Sponsor Zone Sunday through Tuesday and at various stadium entrances during the game. Guests will also have the opportunity to make a souvenir flip photo book.
- Fans and the general public can see their favorite former and current MLB All-Stars ride to Kauffman Stadium in 75 Chevrolet Silverados and Chevrolet Camaro Convertibles during the MLB All-Star Red Carpet Show Presented by Chevrolet, 1 p.m. CT on Tuesday, game day.
The parade, through downtown Kansas City, includes a red carpet that is nearly three-quarters of a mile long. Hall of Famer George Brett, MLB All-Star Ambassador and a 13-time All-Star, will serve as the parade's Grand Marshal. The Chevrolet Silverado trucks will be driven by local Chevrolet dealers and salespeople.
In addition, two young Kansas City baseball players, Kaden Keller and Tristan Copeland, will score childhood memories of a lifetime when they shag baseballs at the State Farm Home Run Derby, 7 p.m. CT on Monday, aired live on ESPN. Kaden and Tristan are affiliated with the Chevrolet Youth Baseball program, sponsored by Kansas City Area Chevrolet dealers.
Finally, the Most Valuable Player at the MLB All-Star Game (7:30 p.m. ET/ 6:30 p.m. CT on FOX) will be awarded a Chevrolet Camaro Convertible and choose a public youth baseball field for refurbishment. A field at Liberty Park in Milwaukee was recently renovated in honor of last year's MVP, Prince Fielder, when he was a Milwaukee Brewer. Fielder has since joined the Detroit Tigers.
Through July 22, participants across the country can visit www.chevybaseball.com and enter to win a refurbished baseball field for their community or another community they feel is deserving. One winner is chosen weekly and is eligible to win the Grand Prize of an all-new, 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco.*
In its third year, Diamonds & Dreams has already awarded more than 25 youth field makeovers across the country.
Chevrolet has also expanded its support of MLB to youth baseball players in communities across the country through the Chevrolet Youth Baseball (CYB) program. In its seventh year, CYB has helped raise more than $13 million to aid local teams, benefiting more than 2.7 million young people in communities across the country. This year, about 1,600 Chevrolet dealers are participating.
*No purchase necessary, ends July 22, 2012. Open to legal residents of the 50 U.S. and District of Columbia, 18 or older. Void where prohibited. Odds of winning a prize will depend on the number of eligible entries received for the applicable drawing.
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design, and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.
SOURCE General Motors