CHICAGO, Feb. 7, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Aspen Challenge—a program of the Aspen Institute founded in partnership with the Bezos Family Foundation—is teaming up with Chicago Public Schools again to implement the second Aspen Challenge: Chicago with students and educators from 20 high schools throughout the city. The Aspen Challenge kicks off with a daylong youth leadership development forum where teams of students and teachers will hear from leaders pioneering change to some of the world's most pressing issues. Leading industry experts will present a challenge, urging the students to create an innovative solution. The program culminates on April 6 when teams will present their solutions to a panel of judges. One winning team will head to the Aspen Ideas Festival in Aspen, CO to present their work.
WHO: Challenge participants include 20 high school teams of eight students ranging from grades nine through twelve and two teachers (the coaches for the program—more than 200 participants from Chicago Public Schools).
- Joan Haug, chief of staff, The Kitchen Community, a real food advocate non-profit
- LaRoyce Hawkins, actor (Chicago PD), standup comedian, motivational speaker
- Israel Idonije, retired defensive end NFL Player (Bears); founder, Israel Idonije Foundation
- Danielle Lee, outreach scientist, TED Fellow, White House Champion of Change in STEM Diversity and Access
- Reverend Michael Louis Pfleger, senior pastor, The Faith Community of Saint Sabina
- Robin Robinson, special adviser for community affairs, Chicago Police Department
- Daniel Rogers, CEO, co-founder, A.M Money, a financial lending company for young people that elevates consideration of career potential over credit history
- Bob Roth, meditation teacher; executive director, David Lynch Foundation
- And many more! For the complete list of presenters visit aspenchallenge.org
WHEN: February 9, 2017 | 8am – 5pm
WHERE: Malcolm X College | 1900 W Jackson Blvd | Chicago, IL 60612
RSVP: If you are a member of the media who wishes to attend please RSVP to Douglas Farrar at email@example.com by Wednesday, February 8.
The Aspen Challenge provides inspiration and a platform for young people to design solutions to some of the most critical and complex issues humanity faces. For more information, please visit aspenchallenge.org or www.facebook.com/TheAspenChallenge.
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, DC. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. For more information, visit www.aspeninstitute.org.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/chicago-students-rise-up-to-the-challenge-300402913.html
SOURCE The Aspen Institute