CHICAGO, Oct. 13, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Chicago United today will announce the 45 local business people to be featured in its 2011 Business Leaders of Color (BLC) publication. The business advocacy group aims to recommend this group to Fortune 1,000 corporate boards looking to increase diversity among their ranks as a strategic business imperative.
Since 2003, Chicago United has created Business Leaders of Color to honor accomplished corporate and civic leaders who have shown the innovation required to overcome obstacles and lead their teams to do so as well. A chief executive or the chairman of a board nominating committee will be inspired by the successful outcomes delivered by these men and women who embrace well-considered risks as opportunities. Business Leaders of Color continues to introduce diverse board candidates who are capable of driving the global competitiveness of any corporate board.
These leaders have also demonstrated a strong commitment to public service. While achieving personal success, each has contributed to the cultural, civic and educational life of Chicago and beyond. Past BLC members include First Lady Michelle Obama, Valerie B. Jarrett, senior advisor to President Barack Obama, Christina M. Tchen, director of the White House Office of Public Engagement, Don Thompson, president and chief operating officer of McDonald's Corp., Luis Sierra, refinery chief financial officer of BP, and more than 200 others.
"We are thrilled to showcase these exceptional men and women," said Gloria Castillo, president of Chicago United. "Realizing the race for talent in a changing world is of paramount concern for CEOs, we're proud to present this fifth edition of Business Leaders of Color. It can be of great assistance to them and to board nominating committees."
These individuals were selected from a nominations pool of more than 150 exceptionally qualified nominees from a wide variety of product and service industries.
The 2011 Business Leaders of Color are:
- Robert Aguilar, Chief Operating Officer, Cabrera Capital Markets, LLC
- Arabel Alva Rosales, President and Chief Executive Officer, AAR & Assoc., LTD
- Terrell D. Anderson, Chief Operations Officer, Urban Partnership Bank
- David Arenas, Managing Director, Reilly Partners
- Jeanna D. Bridges, Market President, BMO Harris Bank
- Kevin B. Brookins, Vice President, Operational Strategy & Business Intelligence, ComEd
- Julia M. Brown, Senior Vice President and Chief Procurement Officer, Kraft Foods, Inc.
- Rebecca S. Busch, President and Chief Executive Officer, Medical Business Associates, Inc.
- Gwendolyn L. Butler, President and Chief Operating Officer, Capri Capital Partners, LLC
- Calvin G. Butler, Senior Vice President of Corporate Affairs, Exelon Corporation
- Carlos F. Cata, Managing Partner, Marketing and Sales Officers Practice, Heidrick & Struggles
- Jorge V. Cazaras, Partner, Pugh, Jones & Johnson, P.C.
- Gary Chan, Senior Vice President, Finance Transformation, Kraft Foods, Kraft Foods, Inc.
- Hugo Chaviano, Senior Partner, Sanchez, Daniels & Hoffman LLP
- Sona Chawla President, Ecommerce, Walgreens
- Michael Chin, Senior Vice President, TCF National Bank
- Nim Chinniah, Vice President for Administration and Chief Financial Officer University of Chicago
- Eric Conley, Vice President, Operations, Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- Jeanna M. Cullins, Principal, HewittEnnisKnupp, an Aon Company
- Richard Gamble, Publisher & General Manager, Chicago Magazine, Chicago Home+Garden, Naperville Magazine, Chicago Tribune Group
- Michael J. Gaskill, Vice President of Nursing and Clinical Operations, Advocate Trinity Hospital
- Graham C. Grady, Equity Partner, K&L Gates, LLP
- Maria C. Green, Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary, Illinois Tool Works, Inc.
- Brett J. Hart, Senior Vice President, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, United Holdings, Inc.
- Ahmad Islam, Co-Founder and Managing Partner, commonground
- Nicole Johnson-Scales, Senior Vice President, Community Development, Fifth Third Bank
- Aylwin B. Lewis, President and Chief Executive Officer, Potbelly Sandwich Works
- Deborah Liverett, Senior Vice President, Director of Community Affairs, Northern Trust
- Eddie P. Lou, Chief Executive Officer, Shiftgig; Partner, JEL
- Wilfred J. Lucas, President, The W. Lucas Group, Inc.
- Maribel Mata Benedict, Partner, Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Anthony R. McCain, Vice President, Field Operations, Nicor Gas
- Henry J. Munez, Managing Director-Commercial Banking, BMO Harris Bank N.A.
- Luis Nunez, Ph. D, Chief Technology Officer, BioTarget
- Gerald L. Pauling II, Equity Partner, Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Cheryl Pearson-McNeil, Senior Vice President Public Affairs and Government Relations, Nielsen
- Jeffery S. Perry, Americas Operational Transaction Services Practice Leader, Ernst & Young LLP
- Kitty Pon, President, Pactrans Air & Sea, Inc.
- Cheryl B. Richardson, PhD, President and Chief Executive Officer, CBR Consulting, LLC
- Lac V. Tran, Senior Vice President, Chief Information Officer, Rush University Medical Center; Associate Dean for Information Technology, Rush University
- Mabel C. Tung, Senior Vice President, Northern Trust
- Monica L. Walker, Chief Executive Officer and Chief Investment Officer – Equity, Holland Capital Management LLC
- Kimberly Waller, Chief Operating Officer, Aon Cornerstone Innovative Solutions, Aon
- Norma J. Williams, Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, NJW Consulting and NJW Companies
- Theodore I. Yi, Co-Managing Partner, Chicago Officer, Quarles & Brady, LLP
About Chicago United
Chicago United is an advocacy organization that promotes multiracial leadership in business to advance parity in economic opportunity. Chicago United supports the business community's need to maximize the use of corporate and entrepreneurial talent and brings together diverse senior business leaders to break through barriers to realize the benefits of diversity and inclusion. Chicago United is the premiere business membership organization creating an environment where racially diverse CEOs and executive level managers can share common experiences to promote multi-racial leadership in governance, management, and business partnerships. It delivers best practices for diversity practitioners and fosters relationships among leaders who share common values.
For more information please visit www.chicago-united.org.
SOURCE Chicago United