Chick-fil-A Achieves Record Annual Sales of $4 Billion Chain to Create Nearly 7,000 Jobs through Restaurant and Sales Growth
ATLANTA, Feb. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- In continuing with its trend of strong sales performance, Chick-fil-A®, Inc. announces that it exceeded $4 billion in annual sales in 2011. A record for the Atlanta-based chain, annual system-wide sales at Chick-fil-A totaled $4,050,992,837, a 13.08 percent increase over the 2010 overall sales performance. The company also generated a healthy seven percent same-store sales increase and marked the 44th consecutive year of sales growth since the company began in 1967.
"Of all our years of sales growth, we are humbled and deeply grateful to our customers for making 2011 particularly exceptional," said Chick-fil-A President and Chief Operating Officer Dan T. Cathy. "We are blessed with a family of Operators and team members whose daily commitment to excellence and heartfelt, personalized service creates an atmosphere of hospitality that is unparalleled in our industry while also having a positive impact in the communities they serve. We believe the Chick-fil-A brand will remain vibrant as long as we remain focused on providing an experience that our guests love to brag about!"
In addition to a milestone year of sales performance, the Chick-fil-A chain celebrated a number of other business achievements in 2011:
- Introduced two new products to the breakfast menu: the Chick-fil-A® Spicy Chicken Biscuit and Multigrain Oatmeal
- Continued its strategic restaurant expansion efforts:
- Opened 92 new restaurant locations, including 75 stand-alone restaurants and 17 licensed locations (e.g. college campuses, hospitals, airports, businesses and industrial sites).
- Surpassed 1,600 total restaurant locations
- Celebrated the opening of the chain's Hollywood and Chicago restaurant locations
- Opened first stand-alone restaurant in Idaho market (Ammon, Idaho)
- Dedicated reinvestment resources to renovate nearly 200 of its existing restaurants
- Continued innovative marketing strategies to fuel sales momentum, including a Breakfast Variety Giveaway promotion awarding more than 830,000 breakfast entrees to guests, as well as providing nearly 600,000 free meals to cow-clad customers during its annual Cow Appreciation Day event in July.
- Recognized with top industry awards:
- 2011 Zagat National Fast Food Survey's "Top Large Chain"
- 2011 Consumer Reports' "Top Chicken Chain"
- Presented 69 franchise Operators new vehicles as part of the chain's Symbol of Success sales incentive program. Through the program, franchisees are awarded a new Ford automobile of their choice for meeting individual annual sales goals.
- Awarded nearly $1.6 million in college scholarships to Chick-fil-A restaurant team members, which brings the program total to nearly $30 million since its inception in 1973. Additionally, Chick-fil-A donated $200,000 in scholarship funds to the four schools participating in the Chick-fil-A Bowl and Chick-fil-A Kickoff Games.
What to Expect in 2012
- New Job Creation: Chick-fil-A will generate nearly 7,000 new job opportunities in 2012 as a result of its new restaurant openings and existing restaurant growth.
- New Product Introductions: In January, Chick-fil-A debuted one of the nation's most nutritious kids meals with the addition of the Grilled Chicken Nuggets entree option. The chain also enhanced its children's side offerings with the addition of Buddy Fruits® Pure Blended Fruit to Go applesauce, a complement to the existing fruit cup option. In April, Chick-fil-A will launch a new line-up of desserts, including a warm Chocolate Chunk Cookie, a Fudge Brownie, and Sundaes.
- Restaurant Growth: Chick-fil-A will add 92 new locations around the country, including 75 stand-alone restaurants, two mall restaurants, and 15 licensed locations.
- Restaurant Reinvestments: Chick-fil-A will also dedicate resources in 2012 to renovate more than 300 of its existing restaurant locations. These reinvestments reflect the company's commitment to continually enhance the guest experience and introduce new efficiencies that will help attract and accommodate greater sales volume.
- Scholarship Donations: Chick-fil-A will award an additional $1.65 million in college scholarships to its restaurant employees.
About Chick-fil-A, Inc.
Atlanta-based Chick-fil-A, Inc. is the nation's second-largest quick-service chicken restaurant chain (based on sales), with more than 1,600 restaurants in 39 states and Washington D.C. Credited with inventing the boneless breast of chicken sandwich and first introducing the chicken nugget concept, Chick-fil-A serves nutritious and freshly prepared food products in mall locations, stand-alone restaurants, drive-thru-only restaurants, Chick-fil-A Dwarf House® and Truett's Grill® full-service restaurants, and through licensed outlets in college campuses, hospitals, airports, businesses and industrial sites. More information about Chick-fil-A is available on the chain's websites, located at www.chick-fil-a.com/pressroom, or through Facebook at www.facebook.com/ChickfilA or Twitter: www.Twitter.com/ChickfilA.
SOURCE Chick-fil-A, Inc.