ATLANTA, Nov. 3, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Dee Ann Turner's journey at Chick-fil-A began with two rejection letters. After months of perseverance, she landed an entry-level position in the human resources department. Thirty years later, she now leads that same department by serving as the Vice President of Corporate Talent. In her debut book, IT'S MY PLEASURE: THE IMPACT OF EXTRAORDINARY TALENT AND A COMPELLING CULTURE, (Elevate Publishing; November 3, 2015; ISBN: 978-1937498887; $22.95), Turner reveals the secret sauce at the heart of Chick-fil-A's success. The keys to Chick-fil-A's success are its "compelling culture," servant leadership, extraordinary talent and people. In a business culture motivated to succeed at any cost, Chick-fil-A's refreshing approach is focused on honor, dignity and respect.
"Businesses do not become excellent in the big areas without focusing on the small details, too," Turner writes.
Turner's insight can help any organization build a concrete foundation for a compelling culture. In IT'S MY PLEASURE, she details the key elements every business should establish from the beginning:
- A Clear Purpose for Existing. WHY are you in business? Culture is the soul of an organization and the purpose is the heart of it. A common purpose unites an organization and gives it a reason for existence.
- A Challenging Mission. WHAT are you in business to do? As an organization changes over time, the mission should be evaluated continually.
- Determine Core Values. Core values are the fundamental beliefs that serve as the building blocks of any organization. They inform decisions, actions and behaviors and rest at the heart of the culture.
- Guiding Principles. Guiding principles serve as a guide to what the organization does, why it does it and HOW it does it. They help to support the purpose and mission.
IT'S MY PLEASURE pulls back the curtain on the hiring process Turner uses to ensure each employee chosen to work for Chick-fil-A shows talent, character, potential and capability. In return, Turner, and all Chick-fil-A leaders, are dedicated to stewarding the dreams and ambitions of both emerging and seasoned talent. "The Talent we select to be part of our team brings unique abilities, perspectives, ideas, thinking and insights. If we are to maximize their contributions to our business, then we have to steward not just the competencies of the employee, but also their interests and their dreams," Turner writes.
Interview topics for Dee Ann include:
- Why is a company's culture critical to its success?
- Why should a company create a "compelling culture" from the beginning?
- What does it mean to hire talent vs. hiring people?
- In your 30 years at Chick-fil-A, you try to talk candidates out of taking the job after you've offered it to them. Why?
- How can companies secure commitment from their employees rather than just compliance? Why does this distinction matter?
- What advice would you give someone who is trying to find their calling?
- Why is having a mentor in your professional life important?
- How can leaders help steward talent among their team?
- How should a business measure success? How does Chick-fil-A measure success? How do you measure success?
- What does being a servant leader mean?
- Many companies keep their inner secrets guarded, why did you want to share Chick-fil-A's hiring process and business philosophy?
Turner draws from her own expertise, as well as the wisdom of Chick-fil-A founder S. Truett Cathy, former president and chief operating officer, Jimmy Collins, and other company leaders. Woven with anecdotes of Chick-fil-A's famous second-mile service, IT'S MY PLEASURE is applicable to any organization or business looking to learn from an industry icon.
"Even the greatest of companies do not last forever, but the influence on the people who were nurtured, developed, grown and impacted can leave a lasting legacy that far surpasses sales records and growing profitability. It's the stories of the lives that were changed forever that truly define the strength of any culture. Tell a story that matters and steward the story to create a compelling culture that attracts and grows great Talent and delights every guest," writes Turner.
About Dee Ann Turner
Dee Ann Turner is Vice President, Corporate Talent, for Chick-fil-A, where she began her career more than 30 years ago. Her first book, It's My Pleasure: The Impact of Extraordinary Talent and a Compelling Culture, reveals never-before-shared secrets behind building and maintaining Chick-fil-A's revolutionary business model. Dee Ann believes people are the most powerful commodity in any organization, and companies that recognize the value of individuals can succeed not just ethically, but financially as well. In addition to serving on the boards of the Kenya Project and Proverbs 31 ministry, the married mother of the three is also active with a variety of family-focused missions that support women and children. http://www.deeannturner.com.
About Elevate Publishing
Elevate Publishing is a strategic publishing company that empowers authors to strengthen their brand. Elevate (an imprint of Elevate Publishing) spotlights authors who are driven by purpose within their field of expertise. Their books explore topics ranging from professional development to personal growth to economics, striking at the core of business and social paradigms to explore what it means to thrive in today's culture. Learn more at www.elevatepub.com.
It's My Pleasure: The Impact of Extraordinary Talent and a Compelling Culture
By: Dee Ann Turner
ON SALE: November 3, 2015
SOURCE Elevate Publishing