Chihuly Garden and Glass Breaks Ground at Seattle Center
1.5 acres of exhibition space features indoor and outdoor art installations
SEATTLE, Aug. 23, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The official groundbreaking for the most comprehensive presentation of Dale Chihuly 's artwork was held today on the 1.5 acre site at Seattle Center. The exhibition, to open in the spring of 2012, will feature works from many of Chihuly's most popular series and architectural installations, highlighting the wide breadth and scope of Chihuly's celebrated career.
Ninety-nine exhibitions in seven countries have presented Chihuly artworks during the last decade, which have been enjoyed by over 10 million visitors. The Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibition will bring this transformative and inspirational experience to Seattle residents and visitors. "This is a dream coming true for me, personally," said artist Dale Chihuly . "For many years, I have wanted to display all the elements of my work in one space and to have it right here in my hometown could not be more gratifying. I look forward to opening the doors to everyone next year," he concluded.
Key features of the exhibition will include:
- A 12,208 square-foot indoor pavilion with gallery spaces that will feature important works such as: a Neon and Glass Forest, a Northwest Room, a Sealife Tower, a Persian Ceiling, a Mille Fiori Platform, a Boat, a Chandelier Room and a Macchia Forest.
- The interior pavilion will also include a publicly accessible cafe with an outdoor patio and seating area, a retail/bookstore space, a 50-seat theater/lecture hall and a lobby/ticketing area.
- A 43-foot tall Glass House encompassing 4,500 square feet, will feature five large Chandeliers composed of red and yellow Persians designed by Chihuly to intermix and appear as one expansive installation.
- An outdoor garden space that will be approximately 16,000 square feet, and another 4,500 square feet for the outdoor plaza between the Glass House and the indoor pavilion
- The outdoor garden will feature artwork including: seven walkway Chandeliers which will run along the edge of the Pavilion, a 16' diameter Sun, a green and yellow Icicle Tower, red, blue and neodymium Reeds, a Pink Crystal Tower , Ikebana, Cattails, Fiddleheads, Herons, Floats, Seal Pups and Belugas.
The Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibition is privately funded by Center Art LLC , a company of the owners of the Space Needle, with absolutely no cost to the city of Seattle or the public. The project will not compete for support with donor bases of local arts organizations. Center Art LLC invited Dale Chihuly to bring his art to this project.
The project has also partnered with several local non-profit organizations including Pratt Fine Arts Center, Pilchuck Glass School, and ArtsFund, as well as the Seattle Public Schools. One of the project's primary goals is to further arts education and arts engagement for youth and adults within the Seattle and Northwest community.
The architect for the project is Owen Richards Architects, the landscape architect is AHBL, the general contractor is Schuchart, and Project Development management is the Seneca Group. Structural engineering for the project will be provided by Seattle Structural, Springline is the civil engineer, Sparling is the electrical/AV consultant, Architettura Design is the cafe/retail consultant, H&M Electric is the mechanical contractor and Novum is the Glass House contractor.
"This project reminds me, in some ways, of the Space Needle and the effort that my father and his partners made to create a symbol for the city and to open in time for the World's Fair," said Jeff Wright , Chairman of Space Needle LLC. "We have an exciting design and many of the same companies who worked on the Space Needle project are working today to complete this new world-class attraction in time to celebrate the 50th Anniversary. I am very proud to be a part of this spectacular display of Dale's work," he concluded.
SOURCE Space Needle LLC
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.