MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL, Minn., April 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota today announced it has named Martin Bassett, Paul Marvin, Bruce Shay and Thomas Tefft to its Corporate board of directors. In addition, Children's announced the appointment of Russ Becker as chair, Hayes Batson as vice chair, and Jonathan Wood as treasurer of its Corporate board of directors.
As one of the nation's largest freestanding pediatric health systems, Children's and its board members are dedicated to bettering the lives of its patients and their families. The new board members and leaders, along with the 17 additional members, will be instrumental as Children's rolls out its new vision and strategic plan that aims to transform how pediatric health care is delivered.
"We are delighted to welcome Marty, Paul, Bruce and Tom to our Corporate board," said Alan L. Goldbloom, MD, CEO of Children's. "They each bring a passion for helping to improve the lives of young people and they will play a vital role in our work to continue providing the best possible care for children and their families, and implementing our new strategic vision."
The four new members each bring decades of business leadership and acumen to the Children's board:
- Martin Bassett is the President and CEO of The Walman Optical Company. He also serves as a director of The Walman Optical Company, Hydrogel Vision Corporation, and The Vision Council of America, and is a member of the World Presidents' Association (WPO) and The American Institute of CPAs.
- Paul Marvin is Vice President of Sales at Marvin Windows and Doors. He currently serves on the board of directors for The Marvin Companies and the Northwestern Minnesota Manufacturers Association. Marvin is an active community member in his northern Minnesota hometown of Warroad.
- Bruce Shay has served more than 28 years at Securian Financial Group and currently serves as Executive Vice President. He is a board member for Think Mutual Bank and Twin Cities Public Television.
- Tom Tefft is Senior Vice President and President of Neuromodulation at Medtronic. He serves as a board member of the Dean's Advisory Board and the Nicholas Center for Corporate Finance and Investment Banking at the University of Wisconsin School of Business. He is also a member of the Medtronic Foundation board.
The new leaders on the Corporate board of directors have been involved with Children's board, task forces and events for years:
- Russ Becker is President and CEO of APi Group, Inc., a two billion dollar holding company for 42 independent construction and construction-related companies. Russ has been involved with Children's for more than five years and formally joined Children's board in 2009. Russ replaces Pat Ryan.
- Hayes Batson is Chairman of Regency Beauty Institute, a leading national privately-held vocational school, and President of Cambio Education, a multimedia education company. He first joined Children's board in 2012.
- Jonathan Wood is Founder of Charity Aware, a new start-up which connects youth with non-profit organizations through an interactive, social media-based game. He previously was Partner and President of Whitebox Advisors. Jonathan became a member of Children's Corporate board in 2012 and its Foundation board in 2013. Jonathan replaces Chad Lindbloom.
"The Corporate board of directors has been instrumental in setting the pace forward with Children's, and Russ Becker, Hayes Batson and Jonathan Wood have played an integral part for several years," said Dr. Goldbloom. "They are driven, respected and dedicated leaders who will help us launch our new vision and advance pediatric health for kids in our community and beyond."
In addition to the new members and officers, the following individuals will continue to serve on the Children's Corporate board:
- Judge Pamela Alexander
- Michael Ciresi
- Matt Furman
- Greg Goven
- Sharon Jaeger, MD
- Mary Jeffries
- Cynthia Lesher
- Matt Majka
- Gaye Adams Massey
- John McNamara, MD
- Richard Migliori, MD
- John Mulligan
- Richard T. Murphy, Jr.
- Alan L. Goldbloom, MD (ex officio)
- Sandy Sackett, MD (ex officio)
- Robert Segal, MD (ex officio, Chief of Staff)
- Lenny Snellman, MD (ex officio, Vice Chief of Staff)
About Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota
Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota is one of the largest pediatric health systems in the United States and the only health system in Minnesota to provide care exclusively to children, from before birth through young adulthood. An independent and not-for-profit system since 1924, Children's serves kids throughout the Upper Midwest at two free-standing hospitals, 12 primary and specialty-care clinics and six rehabilitation sites. Children's maintains its longstanding commitment to the community to improve children's health by providing high-quality, family-centered pediatric services and advancing those efforts through research and education. An award-winning health system, Children's is regularly ranked by U.S. News & World Report as a top children's hospital and by The Leapfrog Group for quality and efficiency. Please visit childrensMN.org.
SOURCE Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota