WASHINGTON, Dec. 1, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Cuori is located in Zhejiang, and is a factory that manufactures products for their own brand. There are around 3000 workers, and they manufacture kitchen appliances. Brands that had products manufactured at the factory include Hamilton Beach, ALASKA, Cusinart, Tefal, E'noca, Russell Hobbs and George Foreman. Cuori's own products and many of these brands are sold at Walmart and Home Depot.
On November 22, China Labor Watch contacted Walmart and Home Depot regarding labor rights violations at Cuori. Walmart responded, saying that they were currently undergoing an investigation. Home Depot stated that the factory has been asked to pay workers for their wages in arrears. However, a follow-up investigation by CLW reveals that there are still hundreds of student workers who have not received their wages in full.
Summary of Cuori's Major Violations:
- Illegally detaining student's IDs.
- Failed to buy social insurance as stipulated by law. Force students to sign a statement to give up the purchase of social insurance.
- Fire safety loopholes. The boxes that were supposed to contain fire extinguishers were used to hold employees' cups.
- Workers only receive 9.00 RMB/hour (1.31 USD/hour).
- Excessive overtime. Workers and students worked at least 12 hours a day, and sometimes put in up to 15 hours.
- Forced overtime. Workers who refused to work overtime would be recorded as being absent from work.
- Continuous work. In Cuori, workers and students could only rest for one or two days each month.
- Failed to pay for overtime as stipulated by law.
- Lack of occupational safety protection. The workshop was very hot and dusty, and a worker died of heart disease that was triggered by heat stroke.
- Inspection fraud. Cuori required employees to use alcohol to clean its products when there was an audit or inspection. However, usually, silicone oil was used, which was cheaper but more harmful to workers.
- Did not provide job and occupational safety training to workers.
- Verbal abuse. Grassroots management personnel regularly cursed at students.
- Constrained resignation. Management personnel would procrastinate to prevent students from resigning.
The cost of Walmart and Home Depot's low prices is exploited laborers working under extremely stressful and exhausting conditions. The enforcement of Walmart and Home Depot's ethical sourcing standards at Cuori is a total failure."
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/china-labor-watch-labor-rights-violations-of-walmart-and-home-depots-supplier-300371563.html
SOURCE China Labor Watch