SAN JOSE, Calif., July 31, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) today announced the keynote line up and notable new breakout sessions for the upcoming CSA Congress and International Association of Privacy Professionals Privacy Academy, scheduled to take place September 17-19, 2014, at the San Jose Convention Center in San Jose, CA. Participants are encouraged to take advantage of special early registration pricing now through August 8, 2014.
CSA Congress and IAPP Privacy Academy 2014 will feature high-level keynotes, covering the latest trends and best practices for managing security and privacy in the cloud.
This year's keynote presenters include:
- Judith Donath, Harvard Berkman Faculty Fellow and Author of The Social Machine: Designs for Living Online, will detail how interface design plays a fundamental -- yet under-utilized -- role in securing online privacy when demarcating the boundaries between public and private space, or when managing identities and reputations.
- Taher Elgamal, Chief Technology Officer, Security of Salesforce.com, will speak to the future of cyber and information security standards and will provide first-hand experience in developing SSL.
- Adrienne Hall, General Manager, Trustworthy Computing, Microsoft Corporation, will demystify some commonly asked questions by cloud customers. She will then outline investments that are important in establishing customer trust, so that the benefits of the cloud can be fully realized.
- Billy Hawkes, Data Protection Commissioner of Ireland, will speak to his experience as the regulator tasked with overseeing the European presence of many major Silicon Valley Internet firms, and how American companies can successfully navigate the European privacy landscape.
- Bruce Schneier, Security Technologist; Fellow, Berkman Center, Harvard Law School; and CTO of Co3 Systems, will speak on conceptualizing privacy and why, as we convert our evolved social systems to engineered socio-technical systems, we need to understand the role privacy plays in our lives and how it can be preserved.
- Iwan Streichenberger, Chief Executive Officer, inBloom, will look to answer if concerns over data privacy can really make or break a business. Streichenberger will share lessons learned, his take on the privacy versus innovation challenge, and why businesses need to embrace customer privacy challenges right from the start.
The joint event will bring together CISOs, heads of information security, CIOs, CTOs, security architects, chief privacy officers and risk management leaders to discuss and collaborate on solutions to current and future threats to today's businesses.
"Whether it be from one of our distinguished keynotes, breakout session speakers, workshops or training sessions, this year's Congress is packed with practical and readily applicable knowledge for today's security professional," said Jim Reavis, CEO of the CSA. "In joining up with IAPP, we hope to provide cloud professionals with an event that is unique and special, and one that will arm them with a new level of knowledge to help their organizations take advantage of the most advanced and best practices when it comes to global cloud security and privacy opportunities, risks, and challenges."
"The keynotes and sessions at this year's conference bring together some of the best thinkers across the security and privacy world, providing attendees with an interesting, holistic look at the data protection landscape," said Trevor Hugues, President and CEO of IAPP. "As security and privacy responsibilities in organizations continue to intersect, it's imperative that professionals from both disciplines have a well-rounded perspective on how data must be secured and managed."
In addition to a dynamic keynote line up, Congress 2014 will include a number of notable breakout sessions covering key emerging topics including:
Securing Cloud Apps at Pandora: What Today's Enterprises Can Learn
Doug Meier, Director, Security and Compliance at Pandora, will explain how Pandora roots out "shadow IT" and other risky practices while enabling fast, simple and secure provisioning of new apps. He will discuss hot topics such as single sign-on, identity management, active directory integration and the importance of the SAML standard.
Leveraging CHAOS (Controlling Havoc and Overhauling Security) Theory to Promote Cloud Adoption
Evelyn de Souza, Data Privacy and Compliance Leader at Cisco Systems, and Richard Noguera, Head of Information Security for The Gap, will present a new data-centric model that bridges the gap between information security teams and business users, to help promote agility by expressing data security in terms that can be readily understood by the business.
What Are Your Top 25 Cloud Security Weaknesses?
Randall Brooks, Engineering Fellow at Raytheon Corporation, will discuss how to apply the Common Weakness Risk Analysis Framework (CWRAF) to lay the foundation to identify the top 25 cloud security weaknesses and how to address them.
This year, the CSA and the IAPP are combining their Congress US and Privacy Academy events into a conference in the heart of Silicon Valley. This conference will offer attendees more than eighty sessions to choose from covering all aspects of privacy and cloud security. Nowhere else will cloud, IT and privacy professionals be able to meet and learn from each other, and gain visibility to practical, implementable solutions delivered by leading industry experts. Together the combined event will broaden the educational and networking opportunities available to both IAPP and CSA members.
Cloud Security Alliance Congresses continue to be the industry's premier gathering for IT security professionals and executives who must further educate themselves on the rapidly evolving subject of cloud security. In addition to offering best practices and practical solutions for remaining secure in the cloud, CSA Congresses give attendees exposure to industry-specific case studies that will help them learn and leverage best practices used by their peers in moving to a secure cloud.
Special discount pricing for individuals and groups is running now through August 8th. To register visit https://cloudsecurityalliance.org/events/csa-congress-2014/.
Qualified media should contact email@example.com for a complimentary CSA Congress press pass.
About the Cloud Security Alliance
The Cloud Security Alliance is a not-for-profit organization with a mission to promote the use of best practices for providing security assurance within Cloud Computing, and to provide education on the uses of Cloud Computing to help secure all other forms of computing. The Cloud Security Alliance is led by a broad coalition of industry practitioners, corporations, associations and other key stakeholders. For further information, visit us at www.cloudsecurityalliance.org, and follow us on Twitter @cloudsa.
About the IAPP
The International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) is the largest and most comprehensive global information privacy community and resource, helping practitioners develop and advance their careers and organizations manage and protect their data. Founded in 2000, the IAPP is a not-for-profit association that helps define, support and improve the privacy profession through networking, education and certification. More information about the IAPP is available at www.privacyassociation.org.
SOURCE Cloud Security Alliance