ORLANDO, Fla., March 21, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- INTERNATIONAL CTIA WIRELESS -- Cobra Electronics Corporation (Nasdaq: COBR), the leading manufacturer of radar detection devices, today announced the general availability of the Cobra iRadar for Android detection system effective April 4, 2011. Since its introduction in October 2010, the Cobra iRadar for iPhone® has been honored with some of the automotive and consumer electronics industries' most prestigious awards for design and innovation. Cobra Electronics is showcasing Cobra iRadar for Android, along with its entire lineup of mobile/wireless products, in Booth #4863 at the 2011 International CTIA Wireless exhibition taking place March 22-24 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida.
Cobra iRadar is the industry's most advanced smart detection system, providing Cobra customers with personal safety, driving peace-of-mind, and near real-time safety information updates. The system uses Bluetooth® wireless technology to communicate between an advanced, dash-mounted radar/laser detector and the Cobra iRadar app, which is free and easily downloaded to an Android smartphone. When connected, the app displays radar/laser alerts, allows the user to control detector settings, and alerts the driver to upcoming photo enforcement areas using the AURA™ Camera & Driving Hazard Database. The Cobra iRadar platform consists of:
- A sleek, compact, dash-mounted detection unit, providing state-of-the-art radar and laser detection technology,
- Cobra's exclusive AURA Camera & Driving Hazard Database, for up-to-the-minute speed and red light camera alerts, known speed traps and dangerous intersection alerts — all 100-percent verified and updated twice daily,
- Smartphone hardware technologies, including GPS, Bluetooth short-range data connectivity, 3G/4G data services, a brilliant LCD display for rich informational content, and more,
- A smartphone app (for Android and iPhone) for safety alerts, configuration, mapping software, compass heading, car battery status, and more,
- Cloud-based services with social media-like safety alert sharing. Cobra iRadar users can now submit database updates and alert other iRadar customers in real time to upcoming threats based on their GPS location.
"We've been overwhelmed by the positive response and accolades we've received for iRadar for iPhone from customers, journalists, trade associations and technology pundits, and we're pleased to extend this powerful driver safety system to the Android smartphone community," said Sally Washlow, senior vice president of marketing and sales for Cobra Electronics. "We've created a very flexible and dynamic platform for delivering in-car safety, peace-of-mind and protection to our customers. We will continue to expand this platform, its capabilities, and our iRadar user community."
Please visit Cobra and Cobra manufacturing partner Aries Manufacturing in Booth #4863.
Cobra iRadar for Android and Cobra iRadar for iPhone have a suggested price of $129.95. Both systems are available now at retailers nationwide and at www.cobra.com. The Cobra iRadar App is available as a free download for Android on the Android Market and on the App Store for iPhone devices. For more information on the Cobra iRadar Detection System, visit www.cobrairadar.com.
About Cobra Electronics:
Cobra Electronics is a leading global designer and marketer of communication and navigation products, with a track record of delivering innovative and award-winning products. Building upon its leadership position in the GMRS/FRS two-way radio, radar detector and Citizens Band radio industries, Cobra identified new growth opportunities and has aggressively expanded into the marine market and has expanded its European operations. The Consumer Electronics Association, Forbes and Deloitte & Touche have all recognized Cobra for the company's innovation and industry leadership. To learn more about Cobra Electronics, please visit the Cobra site at www.cobra.com.
SOURCE Cobra Electronics Corporation